what should i do when my hubby and children are slobs, my house is always trashed and i cant even have company over because i work my butt off and still have to come home and clean clean clean:(

please help me with getting my family out of being slobs?

McConnell_mom

Asked by McConnell_mom at 6:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Home & Garden

• come over here i have the same problem we can split and i only have one kid
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 6:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I feel your pain. I have the same prob!
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 6:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• set down some very stricked rules and make sure that your hubby knows its partly his problem too because when you are upset then he should be too.... Pushing cleaning makes it worse believe me ask them to do simple things and then harder as they get bigger, if that doesnt work then I dont know what to say, family life is hard, but a good structured system is best for children lots of love and working at everything will end up ok...
    Anonymous

• GO ON STRIKE!!!!!!!! It worked for me..... for a little while, lol....... wait a minute... my house is still a mess..... oh well!
    b2sweetie

Answer by b2sweetie at 8:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I give the kids jobs. One picks up the toys, another straightens the shoes, another wipes up the tables, all while I'm doing the dishes or something. If you give them simple instructions, they tend to follow them better. We have the house straightened up in no time. Then I kick them out so I can do the floors.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 8:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I had the same problem. What I did was assign the job to the person who made the mess. In a short time without nagging it occured to each of them that the messes they were making were a pain in the butt. Knowing that they were going to have to clean them up all the time made them think twice. Double duty was when one saw another having to clean less cause they made less messes. Ha Ha!
    sherry729

Answer by sherry729 at 9:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• "oh honey you wanted dinner and clean work clothes? sorry I was too busy vacuming because you don't ever wipe your feet" .... "sweetie you can't find your toys? well maybe I'll remember where I put them when you pick up all your clothes off the floor. Trust me it works!!!
    maddie.star

Answer by maddie.star at 11:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I gave every family member one place setting of dishes. Everything else is disposable, including bakeware and containers for leftovers. I empty the dishes in the am and run the dishwasher after supper. Any dirty dishes found are thrown out! Anything on the laundry room floor on the weekend when I do laundry will be thrown out! If you are 12 or older, you do your own laundry. I have simple meals that require little prep time. Supper is buffet style in the kitchen and everybody throws out their own stuff or puts it in the dishwaser after we eat. So far, so good. Very little work for me any more. I allowed myself to resign from cook and maid this week and my life is much sweeter. Go for it!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 11:56 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• my laundry room includes coat racks clothes storage. If I want to empty the dryer, I quickly fold and put away the clothes for my 11 yo or I throw it as is in a basket for hubby and 16 yo. I reserve a bedroom/guestroom as my personal space. No drinks, no paraphanalia of anykind. They have to ask to come in and watch tv. They aren't allowed there when I am not home. My living room is no food/drinks or anything that doesn't belong there. This way, I have at least a clean LR and kitchen for those who come to the door.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 12:10 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Cont. The bathroom is a challenge but everyone has their own shelf in the closet. Towels are tied to the rack. I hand out one towel to each family member until I do towels again. I throw away what I find (put it away for a long time if I can't bear to throw it out). I make my daughter repeat, "Do I have EVERYTHING? Have I left ANYTHING behind?" Every time she leaves a room. They buy their own socks and hair stuff because that is they only way they have any respect for it. It's tough love around here. I have had it!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 12:11 AM on Oct. 22, 2008