heart palpitations or arythmia in pregnancy????

went to the e.r. and my heart is sending the cue to beat to soon and causeing some uncomfortable pressure and shortness of breath. its been going on for 9 hours. iv been home since noon and its 5 now. just wondering if i should go back in. has anyone had this during pregnancy? they said it could be from the hormones or anxiety or stress, im not stressed and cant find a reasin for anxiety so im not really sure.

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 8:03 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Heart palpitation's are very normal in pregnancy but there is a cap of normal. Best bet is to talk to your OB and go from there. Try laying on your left side with your right knee up, drink lots of water at those times, deep breaths in through your nose out your mouth slowly (like through pursed lips) .Your body is increasing in blood volume and blood flow hence the higher occasion rhythem as long as it does go back to a normal rhythem. Anxiety is natural during these episodes because well it doesn't feel good. I wear an event monitor(heart monitor) for the first 12 wks and the last 15wks of my pregnancies (currently wearing one now at 8wks) but I do have a heart condition that need's this monitoring. I also have a cardiologist and am high risk.
    babyblue21

Answer by babyblue21 at 9:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• it happened when i was pregnant too
    loomis6

Answer by loomis6 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Heart issues are very common during pregnancy. The pregnancy puts extra stress on your heart. Chances are that you are stressing yourself out because of the heart palpations and it is making it worse.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 8:15 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It happens to me even when I'm not stressed. I was told not to worry unless my blood pressure got high or my chest started hurting.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 8:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2010