How do u teach babies to fall asleep on there own?

I have a 2.5 month old and I want to be able to lay him down to bed while he is sleepy eyed but he never wants to go to sleep when I do that I always rock him to sleep if his bottle doesnt fully put him to sleep.. Is he to young to teach him to fall asleep on his own?

cheermickey

Asked by cheermickey at 6:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never did teach mine. At 3 months he just started on his own. I would give it another month and see then. it may be too early for your particular baby. If he takes a bink, try that.
    rowansmum

Answer by rowansmum at 6:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• try breastfeeding
    Anonymous

• I always made sure they were bathed on nights they got a bath, fed, changed, and tired layed them down in their beds and if they whimpered I would go in and rub a cheek or eye brow. Eventually they would fall asleep. If they are use to falling asleep in a swing, a vibrating chair, your arms, or other things they learn they always have to go to sleep that way.
    RJ6mommy

Answer by RJ6mommy at 7:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Why must Anonymous suggest breastfeeding? That is so annoying! That doesn't answer the question at all. ANYWAY, I agree with the first poster, my daughter is 3.5 months old and recently started being able to fall asleep on her own . . not always, but usually at bedtime. Anyway, all her sleeping habits have changed recently, she's suddenly sleeping through the night only waking for a bottle. Good luck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• He's too young to expect it. Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution."

Dr. Jay Gordon, MD, advises that parents shouldn't try to set any kind of sleep schedule in year one. Baby's going to change it anyway.

I found that I got more sleep and my son got more sleep when I stopped trying to get him to go to sleep. And he developed a sleep pattern that has worked perfectly ever since. Nine years old, he goes to bed at a set time and gets up on his own without an alarm or me needing to wake him.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2008