what age does free vpk start?

mjy daughter is 3 yrs old i feel its time for her to go shes very smart and shes around adults everyday no kids so i feel she needs that interaction b4 she dont know what to do around kids. when do they start the free vpk program?

ShYmAmA08

Asked by ShYmAmA08 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• In Florida, the free VPK program starts when the child is 4 years old. It is for the child the year before their ready to begin kindegarten and coincides with the standard school year. You could probably Google your state & VPK to find the details pertaining to your local VPK program and its' requirements.
    FishBiscuit

Answer by FishBiscuit at 10:06 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Depending on how close to 4yrs she is, they may take her. Ask around I'm sure a school or daycare should take her. Good luck and God bless.
    daisie

Answer by daisie at 4:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Being around adults all day is GOOD for her! Nurturing, playful adults are what we WANT our children to imitate. Playing with others before the age of 6 or 7 is ok in small doses – a couple of mornings a week. Think: what can she really LEARN from 3 and 4 yr olds? As a preschool teacher, I spend my time TEACHING HOW to play imaginatively and how to put up with each other. They are generally not yet at the stage of really interactive play like 5 & 6 yr olds; they mostly play side by side with different things or try to get a turn with a thing someone else has. Younger children are still developing the fundamental handling and understanding skills. As a teacher of these younger children, my main task is to help them get happily through the open play time despite the fact that they are too young to play well with others. So I play WITH them, elbow-to-elbow, and steer past conflicts and crankiness, so that they DON'T learn bullying/being bullied. ... ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• In preschool for children younger than 5, I basically fill the day with what they could be doing if they could be at home with mama: kneading bread, stirring up muffins, cooking soup, washing up; painting with watercolors, using crayons, playdough; seasonal festivals, stories and singing; sandbox & swings & running. Of course, we do not do TV or other electronic sensory overloads, and unfortunately we can’t do the wonderful things like long walks or going to the produce market or seeing friends and relatives. … Kids who stay home and have fun helping mom are more secure/confident and independent, stronger souls for the extra love and attention. Don't believe the propaganda that children OUGHT to be in some program, that THAT is how they learn to play with others. No, they learn confidence and how to interact from YOUR example far better than from a preschool group. The preschool children are still naturally self-centered, just like your healthy 3 or 4 yr old should be.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• VPK starts at the age of 4 in Florida. The child has to be 4 before September 1st. I'm son starts VPK in Aug. I'm so excited
    Harley84

Answer by Harley84 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2008