? about frozen breast milk...

i need to use the breast milk thats in my freezer but my DD is not ready for cereal yet...should i start alternating breast milk bottles and formula bottles? or mix the BM with formula? how do i do this?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 8:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I answered this on your other question. I saw it on there when I started answering, but when I submitted the answer, this part was gone.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• personally i mixed but why do you think she isn't ready for cereal? and pump to keep making milk.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 8:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• donna---she is only 10 wks old, i want to wait until 4 mos at the very least to give her cereal...btw i stopped pumping when she was about 4 wks old so this is just the breast milk i accumulated for the first month
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 8:33 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• mrs.BAT---i know....im sorry i decided to make it seperate...i wasnt paying attention but thank you ssooo much for your help!!
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• frozen bm is good for 6 months whats the rush? and if you deep freeze it it is good for a year
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• MELRN--i asked how long to keep it the other day on here and the most common answer i got was 4 mos and 6 at the most if it is perfect conditions so im going to shoot for having it all used by the time she is 4 mos
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Once your baby is consuming more than 4-6ounces of milk every 3-4 hours, it could be time for cereal if your baby is a few months old and has no issues with texture. It does need to be quite watered down and most kids aren't ready for spoons until they can sit up well enough on their own. If you have breast milk frozen in thick plastic sterile containers, it should be good for about 4 months in a deep freeze that's not opened all the time. Once it is thawed, the lymphocytes (which are normal) in the breastmilk have died or become dormant and have diminished protective capacity over the freshness of the milk, so it should be used within 24 hours after being completely thawed. You can give breastmilk to a baby throughout infancy, and there are some women who will still give breastmilk to their children when they are talking. It doesn't matter if you mix the breastmilk with the formula or give them separately.
    Angelwolf130

Answer by Angelwolf130 at 12:31 AM on Sep. 27, 2010