Borax in laundry / front loader

I'm in need to tips to help make my clothes not stink after washing them in my front load washing machine. I've tried lots of different types of detergent, and things still come out smelling mildew-ish. Has anybody had success with borax in laundry, and if so, how much and where do you add it? Any other ideas or tips would be great too!

TarraJoy

Asked by TarraJoy at 8:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I use 1/2 with each load and it works great.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Borax does help getting things clean, but I had to make an educated guess the problem isn't the detergent. You need to wipe down the gasket on the front of the washer every couple of days with cleaner, and most importantly..... LEAVE THE DOOR OPEN on the washer when not in use. I had this problem when I first bought me. I kept the door shut until someone told me not to. Also - try not to let your washed clothes set for more than 8 hours before drying.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• scout_mom, do you use it when you wash your clothes in cold water too? I'm always afraid it won't completely dissolve! You just toss it right in with your clothes or do you put it in with the detergent? Thanks!!
    TarraJoy

Comment by TarraJoy (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I think you have to keep the front door open b/c the mildew is coming from a wet washer & the door being closed doesnt allow it to dry
    babybutastink

Answer by babybutastink at 10:06 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• give your washer a good cleaning and towel dry it
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:00 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My homemade detergent contains borax and it cleans very well. I would take the recommendations of others in cleaning the gasket and inside. I'd even run an empty cycle with vinegar in it to help kill any mold/mildew in there then wipe clean and leave the door open.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010