He won't stop crying....

One of my 16 month old twins has been crying- A LOT- lately. I took him to the pediatrician today and he couldn't find a reason for the crying. Last night he cried from just after 3am until the sun came up. He was clean, warm, fed, burped, not constipated, no fever, not his teeth- he just seemed bored. He'd play for a minute or two, then start crying again- I mean screaming and howling- he woke up all the other kids and even the neighbors knocked on the door last night to make sure everything is ok. Any ideas? I'm desperate. He's started crying again.... my husband is giving him a bath trying to soothe him now. I cant take another night like last night. I was in tears this morning from frustration.

MamaCarterof5

Asked by MamaCarterof5 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be the change in homes. He might just be scared of the dark in his new room. My two year old who has always slept through the night is waking up at four in the morning for the past week now. He doesn't really cry but he is up. So much fun! He may just take a little while to adjust. If that isn't the problem, I would be concerned that the doctor missed something.

mommyandthree

Answer by mommyandthree at 6:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Asa did this one time.... and I tried everything like you have. Nothing worked... So just kept walking, bouncing, patting, rocking, etc.... he finally stopped..... If you have done everything to help him, I guess he just wants to cry. I know it can be stressfull, but hopefully he will stop soon! Hang in there. : )
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 7:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I would take him to another doctor and get a second opinion. Babies and toddlers don't just cry day and night because they're bored! It sounds like he may be in pain or just generally feels bad. Maybe the doctor needs to do more than just a basic exam. You may have to push the doctor to do more testing.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 7:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Is he the one with the poop issues? If not does he maybe have some poop feelings? DId they make sure he doesn't have anything stuck in his nose/ears etc?

Diet? Teeth?
    jamieschmidt

Answer by jamieschmidt at 8:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• No there is something definatly wrong.... we dont cry for no reason and either do our babys so its up to you to find out whats with him. I am one to say that its hard to find a doctor that will treat your child as there owne there for sometimes us mothers have to go with our instinct.
    Anonymous

• 1. Let him sleep with you- then put him in his bed when he falls asleep....

or

2. Tuck him in--- and start a bedtime- reading- routine-- he could just be confussed or scared- you know- new house!...

or

3. Leave a brighter night light on in his room..?

or

Happy-Duckof6

Answer by Happy-Duckof6 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• 4. Feel his stomach? hard?-- constipated?--
    Bathroom habit? loose?- upset stomach....?-
    feel for molar teeth?- coming in?- hyland teething tablets...

or

5. Talk to him- about how much you "love his room" and is stuff-- buy him a new "bedtime buddy" stuffed animal to sleep with??....

Or

6. Take them to the park during the day- and make sure he is getting enought "running around time" playing-- so at bedtime- he is sleepy and will go right to sleep....

I honestly, don't feel like it is going to be something big-- just sounds like he's upset about the move-- Kids don't like change- and some just don't adjust well...
    Hope I helped, HUGS, Meredith
    Happy-Duckof6