Do you moms believe co sleeping prevents sids?

With my 2 boys I co slept and they are still sleeping with me. They are 2 and 3. We are moving next month and they will be in they're own room in they're own bed. I'm 6months pregnant with my 3 child. A baby girl. I was going to attempt to have her sleep in one of those co sleeper beds that attach to mines. I don't want her to become dependent like the boys have. But now I'm hearing that studies show that babys who sleep in the parents bed are less likely to have sids. True or not. What are your opinions?

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 8:54 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Both of my kids slept on their own from birth. My 2 brothers and I had our own cribs from birth, my DH and his two siblings had their own cribs from birth, etc etc etc. None of our families practiced co sleeping, and no one in either of our families experienced SIDS. That was not something that scared me out of allowing my children to sleep in their own rooms. That's ME.

You need to do what YOU feel comfortable with when it comes to your 3rd child. :) IMO I am sure she'll be perfectly fine in her crib. Be sure to lay her on her back, and not have loose blankets over her.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Nope I do not believe that I think it is simply statistics that look to be in favor of cosleeping.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• well both of my sons have co slept with me (granted i didnt sleep very well, every turn woke me) but i was comfortable in knowing i could feel if something was wrong
    veronicamw

Answer by veronicamw at 9:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• i honestly believe things just happ the way they are supp to...i have co-slept with all 4 of mine tho doc said that it cause SIDS...but bfore there were cribs an baby beds mom had to do it..
    i also think that SIDS can be link to parents shaking their babies w/o realizing that its affecting their life..
    i have heard ppl sayy i moved or shook thier baby playing around with them a put them in the beds came back later to get them but they were already dead..our kids are only on loan to us from GOD for a short period of timx but he didnt say how long the loan was...i personally njoyed mine sleeping with me their first 3 yrs..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 9:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I don't believe it but I have nothing against co-sleeping. I did it while mine were just babies and I still do it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No, i dont believe that my pediatrition actually says you're NOT suppose to put your kids in bed with you. so all 3 of my girls have slept in their own bed since day one. However if they are sick i go in and sleep with them in THEIR bed so they dont get use to being in my bed.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I coslept because that's what I felt was right for me. My son happily moved to his own bed at about 3 1/2. I once read something about baby mattresses themselves causing sids. Who knows? I just follow my insinct =)
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• We always co-slept, and will with this one too. But seeing how science still has no idea what causes SIDS, it's impossible to know what prevents it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:07 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I never co-slept with my kids. I had the breathable crib bumper and the blanket sleepers for them when they were little cuz I was worried about them having blankets so if they were zipped up in them they couldn't suffocate.

Do what you feel is right
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 9:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• i have always read the opposite, that it's not safe to co-sleep. i know it wouldn't be safe for ME to, for sure because i am a very heavy sleeper. my son didn't actually start sleeping in my bed till after he was three lol, why?! i don't know...
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2010