keeping a secret account

do u think it wrong to keep a secret or separate account from your mate is wrong?
my aunt said that women should always have a just in case account put to the side..just in case your mate leaves u,lose your or his job,emergency things..

FreeSpriT4eva

Asked by FreeSpriT4eva at 9:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• i agree with your family memb, and if no emergencies happen in the year, you can take vacat, with your mate
    mosy

Answer by mosy at 9:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• IF you are in an abusive, controlling relationship - then an "escape" fund isn't a bad idea. But if you are in a good marriage with great communication then that is the worst thing that you can do.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I see it as horridly deceitful and mistrusting... Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine keeping money from my husband... I mean really, how much do you have to assume your marriage is going to end to keep a "just in case" account? That's kind of an insult in my mind.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:20 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I think it's deceiving.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I am in the process of getting one.. MY husband will know it wont be secret but he wont have access to it..
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 9:16 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• nope. always save for a rainy day.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 9:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• We have an emergency fund too, but my husband knows about it and he knows how to access it.,

We do have his and her savings accounts. I've heard that if a spouse dies joint assets are frozen until the estate is probated. I could be wrong on that, but it seemed wise to us to have separate money just in case. Again though none of this is a secret.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:06 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• We do have his and her savings accounts. I've heard that if a spouse dies joint assets are frozen until the estate is probated. I could be wrong on that, but it seemed wise to us to have separate money just in case. Again though none of this is a secret.

I copied the above from a previous post: I think this situation must be on a state by state basis. In the state of Alabama (where I live and work as a banker) if you are a joint account owner and one party dies, you still have full access to the account. You also have the option to choose "right of survivorship", ROS and POD (right of survivorship and payable on death beneficiary(s), or no option which would mean simply leaving it to your estate and having the estate probated.

Again, I do not know if and/or how this might be affected from state to state.
    JuJuBug100207

Answer by JuJuBug100207 at 12:28 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i see nothing wrong with it
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Oh, it's not a secret, I know about it.
    peacockmom

Answer by peacockmom at 9:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2010