legal Seperation??

Just because you are going through a divorce does that mean you are legally separated? I thought that you needed to file for a legal separation. Just wondering because I'm going through a divorce and my soon to be ex thinks he doesn't have to pay spousal support because we are "legally separated" all tho we never filed for that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Relationships

• You have to go to court to be legally seperated. My aunt made sure that she was legally seperated so that if she at anytime decided to date in the seperated time it would not be able to be used in court during the divorce.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 7:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• It would be helpful if we knew what state you live in. Laws differ from state to state.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Here in Texas, I was considered legally separated when the temporary hearing for custody of the kids took place after divorce was filed. Tempory child support was set up at that time too with the permanent amount to be decided at the final hearing. We didn't set any spousal support because I was living with the man who got me away from my ex, and therefore it wasn't needed.

You can pm me if you want about this. Thing like this are painful, and it might help to talk.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• The posters are right. It depends on your state. Try womenslaw.org then link to Know the Law then link to your state and see. Normally spousal support has to be determined by the court just like child support. It depends on how long you were married and if you are capable of contributing to your own support. For example, Madonna can't ask Guy Richey for spousal support and expect to receive anything. Has your attorney asked you how much you need in spousal support? If you are hurting for money then you need to tell your attorney to get you to court soon even if it's a temporary order until the final order is signed.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:57 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• In the state of va you have to file for a sep. before you are legally sep...
    homextownxgirl

Answer by homextownxgirl at 10:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2008