Do PAP smears always hurt like a b!tch?

I've only had one before... and it was really painful. That nurse was really ungentle with the rest of the exam, though, so I don't know if it was her or me or what.

I have my next PAP coming up on Wednesday. Is it gonna hurt? :(

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 10:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Health

• I have never had a nurse give me a PAP. It should not hurt. I have never heard of it hurting. I hope you are not going to the same place and having the same "nurse".
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:03 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• its always been uncomfortable for me... but i wont let a nurse do it. i always have my doctor do it. the first one hurt the worst.
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 10:04 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Hi there. I am sorry you had a bad experience on having one of those done. They really are not suppose to hurt. It all depends on you. You should be down at the end of the table as far as you can go, then the other most important thing is to relax. When your doc is at the time going to do the procedure, take a deep breath in and exhale at the time of insertion of the instrument. It really helps that way. The breathing will allow your muscles to relax better. They are also suppose to warm that intrument up too. I wish you luck on your next one.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 11:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No, I'm in a different state and see a midwife now. She didn't even hurt me during the vaginal exams I requested during labor (which always hurt before).
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• they are a bit uncomfortable, but a lot of it has to do with how you are treated!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It's uncomfortable more than painful. I mean I sometimes there's a dull pain like when you start getting cramps, but it's usually short, like an hour. But for me it's more mental pain I guess. I love my ob-gyn, but I'm still uncomfortable having anyone but my husband touch me there, kwim? But I suck it up and do my annual physical every year.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• UM IT HURT ME ONCE BUT AFTER THAT IT DIDN'T I THINK IT DEPENDS ON WHO DOES IT.THEY MIGHT JUS BE VERY ROUGH MAYBE IF THIS TYME WEN YOU GO SEE IF IT HURTS IF SO TRY A DIFFRENT OBGYN.
    proudmommy01227

Answer by proudmommy01227 at 10:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Mine have never hurt. They've not been comfortable, but the people I've had do them have always been very careful and reassuring - they've always tried to make the process as bearable as possible. I had heard horror stories, though, and I was scared to death until I had mine done the first time.

I think it comes down to who does it and how much they care about what they're doing.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I've only had one out of 6 or 7 that hurt, and that was one of my firsts and they weren't gentle. You should be fine, hun. Sorry you had the crappy experience.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:43 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Unless you have pelvic inflammatory disorder or some infection, it's not suppose to hurt. The cervix is also more sensitive closer to your period. If no infection or inflamation was found, perhaps try and schedule your pap a week or so after/before your cycle.
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 7:52 AM on Sep. 27, 2010