Leptospirosis Vaccination?

My dog is not around other dogs. Does he really need to get the vaccination against leptospirosis? We were just at the vet last spring and again last fall (a year ago) for shots. What's up with all these shots?

zboys

Asked by zboys at 10:01 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Pets

• My dog is only in contact with other dogs in my neighborhood through the fence, but I still vaccinate him for Lepto. It is transmitted through contaminated (with urine) water and also from an animal eating infected tissues or a bite from an infected animal. Many wild animals (like skunks and raccoons) can also transmit Lepto. It is contagious to humans by the same means. Its a personal choice whether or not you vaccinate for Lepto, but I would research the risk factor in your area before you decide not to get it. The vaccine protects agains 2 common strains, if the strain(s) that is prevelant in your area is one of the the 6 other known Lepto strains, the vaccine will not protect your dog against the bacteria.
    ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 9:55 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It really depends on your area some place see more of it then others. Most vets give the combo shots and there is not a price differance between the one with lepto and the one with out. But talk to your vet about it.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• if he has any chance of getting it than yes id do it just to be safe anyway
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Leptospirosis is transmitted by an infected animal's urine... So if your dog lives alone and never comes into contact with anywhere that another dog has been, then you don't need it.
    If your dog comes in contact with other dogs, or where they are walked, then get it. Lepto can be extremely damaging. It;s not about hte other dogs, it;s about their urine.
    Can you absolutely be sure that your dog doesn't go anywhere that other dogs have been?
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2010