Selling creative items

Is it possible and how effectively run a business making either custom or one of a kind artsy and crafty items?
I am good at making jewelry, things out of polymer clay, painting and decorating furniture, or walls, I do many interesting faux finishes including Venetian Plaster, faux marble or granite, wood graining, also murals.

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 10:16 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• It takes marketing.
    Most do not make enough to cover time and expense.
    A few do great.
    Good Luck.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• ebay, facebook, making your own website - many ways but its not going to be a lot of money you make its more of a side job i think
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 10:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• good luck
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• If you have a gift for this, you can definitely make money at it.For the handmade items, I would start with an etsy site. Also, advertise your services online. Create a website on Wordpress that will "advertise" your site locally. I am sure there are lots of people redecorating their homes who would like someone to come in and do murals or faux finishes on their walls. A lot of people are doing renovation and redecoration instead of buying new homes since the economy is so bad. There's a lot of potential with this kind of business, you just need to know how to market it.

If you have any specific questions on how to get started doing this, you can PM me.
    HealthyMom62

Answer by HealthyMom62 at 7:05 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Criagslist, an etsy.com store (etsy is like an ebay designed for handmade items), local craft fairs (especially now that holiday season is gearing up, there will be LOTS of them), ebay and your own website.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Running a crafty business is the same as running any other type of small business. You need to work hard, market effectively, expect setbacks and never give up. Running my own business is the hardest, most rewarding thing I've ever done.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 27, 2010