Food Substitutes for lactose intolerant toddler?

My DS is 1, but hasn't outgrown his lactose intolerance. It runs late in my family, so I'm not too worried about it in the long-term, but he refuses to eat anything DH and I aren't eating, and the only subs I know are for plain milk.
DH and I usually eat a lot of dairy-heavy food, and would like to find some good recipe subs for cheeses, sour cream and other commonly used dairy products in cooking so that my DS can join in on the family meals!
Any tips/advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can get soy, rice or coconut milk-based ice creams. Tofutti also makes dairy-free ice cream, as well as sour cream, several flavors of cream cheese, and mozzarella & american flavored soy cheeses. Soy cheeses do not taste like cow's cheese, but they do melt fairly well compared to rice-based cheeses. Well-aged cheeses will have less lactose than "young" cheeses because the bacteria that ages the cheese & gives it flavor also eats the dairy sugars, so he may be fine with well-aged cow dairy cheeses.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I'm going to assume he's dairy protein sensitive, as LI is something you either never grow out of, or only grown into.

You might try cheese from other mammals as the proteins can be smaller. Sheeps milk cheese is very yummy! On sandwiches and in wraps//tacos etc... avocado is an excellent sour cream/cheese sub. More nutritious, offers really good fats and a cool creamy texture. I sub it for basically every cold application. I couldn't stand soy cheese... didn't melt well and hardened quickly. I just avoided anything that needed melted cheese, or removed it (just added pots of toppings to pizza and no cheese!)

I used almond milk for baking and chicken broth for savory (mashed potatoes, soups, stews, etc...)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:22 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• go to a book store! ive seen many cook books that deal with that and soy milk isnt that bad...
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 10:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2010