how do I discuss sex ed with a ten yr old?

how do I explain it in a way that will make him respect women yet understand his urges are completely natural?

thegoddessofwit

Asked by thegoddessofwit at 12:13 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• It's funny that I just recently took a speech class and we had a panel discussion on this very subject. I was one of the leaders. Well, I have a 9 year old little girl and I have a lot of the same questions. My advise is take it slow. Ask him if there is anything he wants to know, and just take it from there, small steps. Let him know it's not anything to be ashamed of, let him know he can trust and come to you anytime. He is still really young, and unless he sees a male in his life mistreating you or other women, then nothing you say should make him feel like women are trash or anything. Just educate yourself on possible steps. Most important, just be a mom and be patient and honest. Remember, they are going to hear about sex from school mates, whether we like it or not. Id rather my daughter get the facts from me than one of her little friends. Hope any or all of this helps. Good luck! Alyey
    amoremio

Answer by amoremio at 12:50 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Send that one over to his daddy.....
    michiganmom83

Answer by michiganmom83 at 1:17 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• LOL, I gotta agree with let the men talk about that sort of thing. My fiance and I agreed that I have to tell my daughter but he has to tell his sons about the birds and the bees. I like how my best friend did it. She let him ask questions and she answered as honestly as she could and filled in the blanks in between. He was so much more confidant after the conversation.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 2:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Honestly and clearly. I have heard the most ridiculous stories from parents e.g. Babies coming out of belly buttons, etc. Why not get to the point and be clear and honest. They will trust you more if you are straight forward and to the point. You can go over the scientific aspect of sex during their younger years and the emotional aspects of relationships at a slow honest pace over the course of a few years.
    Mel40

Answer by Mel40 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i say, don't be afraid to talk about it. be open. you don't have to be volger but blunt. you don't want your child asking other kids. they might as well get all info from you. that's my opinion. i'm honest with my 9 yr. old son.
    marta4274

Answer by marta4274 at 11:02 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• i don't know my two dd's are too young...
    akyan

Answer by akyan at 2:50 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• His urges may be happening,but that doesn't mean sex should. Be honest about the facts of life and forthright about expectations of his behaviour. If they see/hear something, tell them to come to you and not be afraid to ask provoking questions. Tell them its meant for procreation and not necessarily for recreation. Respect themselves and others always. Just some general advice that I've given. And by all means, encourage them to go to a Worth The Wait program in their area. I sent my youngest teen there and she enjoyed the class and the freebies they gave away. She was very proud to wear her t-shirt to school and to church, because she knew and respected herself and realized she was Worth the Wait.
    ladyauthor2b

Answer by ladyauthor2b at 8:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2008