Is it okay to give my 7 week old baby a little bit of rice cereal mixed in with breastmilk??

gore_vic

Asked by gore_vic at 10:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not recommend it, I have a friend who did this and now her son refuses to eat with a spoon. My son who never had cereal in his bottle opens his mouth up for a spoon at 4months!
    Tahjanae_s_Mom

Answer by Tahjanae_s_Mom at 10:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I really would wait until your baby is old enf & your ped recommends it.
    gaamom

Answer by gaamom at 10:14 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I dont ever put cereal in bottles. Try it with a spoon. Grayden and Bryant were eating cereal with a spoon when they were 2 months.
    webber217

Answer by webber217 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Dont start cereal this early wait until atleast 4 months
    beck241

Answer by beck241 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I never had a problem doing this. My daughter was eating 8 oz bottles from the time she came home. I actually got yelled at by the doctor that she was eating too much, but she never had a problem when I let her eat that much. It also helps with the spit up, especially if they have acid reflux like my daughter does. I started my daughter at 6 weeks on cereal because of how much she was eating and it actually slowed her eating a bit and steady out her weight gain to a "normal" level. I'm a believer in following the old traditions that I was raised with and have never had a problem with them.
    AkiraMommy

Answer by AkiraMommy at 11:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• ive given both my kids cereal at 6wks...their fine it actually helped with their hunger they stopped eating so much and slept more through the night my son is 4months and just gave him oatmeal because they say rice can constipate them so i gave him oatmeal and hes done hell of alot better on oatmeal than anything....ur the judge nobody else...do what u feel is ok...what do u think parents did in back of the days...the only reason doctors tell u not to now is because of over weight issues in america...thats it!
    ShYmAmA08

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 12:05 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• thats a bit early - if you think your baby is getting hungry sooner then maybe up the ammout of food they get in one sitting -dont add cereal until they start drinking more than 6 ounces in one sitting (which is usually arround 3 to 4 months)
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 12:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• i would put it in his bottle though because one of the moms is right it causes delyas as they get older with the spoon they refuse it more...so just mix it in his bottle during the morning and evening to start out with then progress
    ShYmAmA08

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 12:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I have never given any of my children cereal in a bottle. I did start them on it from a spoon quite early. I think around 6 wks. Very runny at first, increasing the thickness gradually. My doctors did not recommend it, but they were hungry! IMO, if they are hungry enough to eat cereal, they should be able to eat it from a spoon.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 2:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I assume you're trying to get your baby to sleep better. Putting cereal in the bottle won't help... they don't always wake up because they're hungry! Sometimes they wake up b/c their internal clocks aren't mature yet & they don't know HOW to sleep all night. If you want to try some cereal b/c your baby is eating A LOT of breastmilk, give it to her on a spoon.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 2, 2008