How do you handle sibling rivalry in your house?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 10:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I only have toddlers so it's not bad but growing up my mother tried to let my sister and i figure it out on our own and only got in the middle when it got really bad. Luckily they only adopted 2 of us and not all 5

Good luck!
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Im an only child with 3 boys...two of them are only 3 years apart the youngest has brought them together...however there is still alot of rivalry...I would like an answer to this question as well...sometimes I feel like a referee...
    hillydilly

Answer by hillydilly at 10:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Yesterday DD 9 and DS 11 wouldn't stop fighting with each-other, so I made them go in the back yard and pull weeds until they could do it without arguing, or until the job was done. The job got done. They stopped fighting with each-other after they were done, AND the weeds are GONE! Wahoo!
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 10:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I'm the mother of one but the youngest child of eight.
    My parents had a rule and never waivered.. if someone was not dying, bleeding, choking or in the balance between life and death in some other manner and we tattled.. the one who tattled was the one who was punished.
    Also a serious punishable offense (no TV, no leaving our bedrooms, no eating dinner with the family, etc.) was whining. One whine = sitting in our room for the rest of the day.. no toys either.. just books.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• my sisters ages 11 and 13 would not stop fighting with each other so my mother made them stay attached at the hip for a full 24 hours one couldnt even use the bathroom without the other one being outside the door it seemed to work ok because now they know that if my mother catches them fighting like that agin theyll be forced to spend all that quality time which doesnt appeal to either of them
    mscmariee

Answer by mscmariee at 11:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2010