Is this normal?

For some reason I cannot see myself as a mother. I see my baby's father, him, and nobody else in the picture. I've always had an irrational fear of dying during/shortly after childbirth. So far I have had a healthy pregnancy minus the Gestational Diabetes but I keep it under control with diet and so far everything is great. I'll be 36 weeks on Friday. My blood pressure is normal, usually 130/80 or in that range but the other day it was a little higher than normal, 142/89 but they said it wasn't a cause for concern. I was already at the hospital for contractions/baby not moving much (didn't know I was even having contractions!) and they stopped them with Terbutaline. I'm just so scared that the baby won't be healthy or I'll die/become paralyzed or something like that. I don't know why, I keep thinking that because I cannot see myself as a mother that this is what is going to happen! Is this normal!?

NMRx

Asked by NMRx at 7:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I think its normal for some people. I have heard this before. I have always seen myself with a daughter and I had one... Sometimes you just have a picture in your head. I am sure once you meet your baby, your feelings will change. I know it sounds cliche, but its true. Its an immediate, unconditional love. I feel now that I was born to be a mother. I am sure these feelings will come to you too, but sometimes just being pregnant doesn't give you those feelings. Good luck! Enjoy the end of pregnancy :).
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I think that it's totally normal to have a LOT of fears and concerns, whether it's your first or your fifth. My suggestion is to talk to someone about this, especially your doctor or even a friend. Doctors are usually very good at dealing with the fears that come along with birth and parenthood and they would probably have some great advice for you!
    b2sweetie

Answer by b2sweetie at 8:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I felt the same way when I was pregnant with my first baby. She's 18 now and we're both fine. Don't worry about it. You'll be fine. Do everything in your power to take care of yourself and your baby and send me a message when you get home to tell me about your perfect baby!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 11:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2008