My 8 month pregnant sister is driving me CRAZY!!!!

I offered to throw her a baby shower for her first born, since there were no other females in our family that could help. Our mother passed away and we don't talk to our other sister. I was okay with doing this. Due to my own family though not having a ton of financial extras to pay for this. We discussed a small, unisex gathering of family and friends. So food, a few games, and gifts for the baby. Well, she went home. Has been adding all sorts of guests, is up to like $400 in food, and has about 20 games she wants everyone to do. She is going crazy, turning this 3 hour gathering into a major party. She also just told me she is afraid its going to be hard to get some of the guests to leave as they may want to stay and "hang out". I have 2 small children and a hubby that works at 4am. I can't have any ole' body just "hanging out". I don't want to hurt her feelings, but man!! How can I some order! Its my house & my checkbook!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• I understand where she is coming from, it's her first baby and she wants everything big! So maybe to help with the food you could ask friends (I'm sure they understand your circumstances) to help you out. I assure you, it's not unheard of. As for staying over, the bartenders phrase "you don't have to go home but you can't stay here". It's not rude to tell guests they've over stayed their welcome. Just set up boundaries and ask for help! I think what you're doing is a wonderful thing!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Explain to her that you want to have the shower, but it should be low key. & Maybe done at her place, so the people who want to just "hang out" could hang out with her after its over...

lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 10:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I would sit down and talk to her but before you do try to figure out what you can cut out and how to make it cheaper..that way it might go a little better

good luck
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Talk to her and tell her it would be more fun after the baby is born to have more people over. Then they can see the baby. (By then she will be so tired from caring for the baby she may not want the gathering at all). Just tell her right now it might be better to keep it smaller then once the baby is born they will know what she is having and she will have a better idea of what she needs. Something on that order?? It sounds like a touchy situation and when you are 8 months pregnant your hormones are going nuts the way it is. Good Luck!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Explain to her that it's a baby shower not a major party. Women are usually the only ones there. Evidently she doesn't have a lot of sense either, being 8 months pregnant . You may need to remind her that you're paying for this, not her, and tell her she can only invite a certain number of people. If you have to tell her that you won't be having it, and then have a surprise baby shower, that way she won't know when it is, and you'll be in control of the guest list. I wish you luck on this.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:16 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Give her a budget, let her know that X is what you can afford - anything above that she is going to be responsible for or she needs to cut back the list. As far as "hanging out" - let her know that your DH has to be up early, you have little kids - if she wants to have a get-together afterward, let her know that she can take them back to her house.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:45 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Thanks for reminding me why I don't believe in baby showers.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 26, 2010