when should i worry about my 16month old not talking

My daughter Rosie is 16 months old and only says momma and dada. She can bark for dog and does a noise similar for cat, she make the funniest noise with her tounge when she sees a banana ( which kinda sounds like saying banana) but that is it. Is she supposed to be talking more? I have tried to search for info on this and am just having no luck. Her pediatrician doesn't seem to be worried but he is also kinda like talking to a brick wall, don't get too much out of him when i try to ask questions. When should I start to worry about speach if she doesn;t seem to get new words?

bekmae777

Asked by bekmae777 at 10:49 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son will be 3 on October 17 and didn't start a full vocabulary until late January, early February of this year. He would know things, like if I were to ask him where the apple was, he'd go to it, etc... but he just would NOT talk. I told myself that if he didn't start talking by his 3rd birthday I would see about speech therapy for him. But in no time he was blabbing on about everything. It takes kids a while to find their voice. They have to get the "tongue rolling" technique down and then there is no end. I'd say give it to her 3rd birthday. By then a speech therapy would be good. Until then, continue working with her. Have her point things out to you, just so you know she can understand that and comprehend it. Maybe even consider getting her ears checked? Make sure she can hear very clearly. She could have a hearing problem which could prevent her speech. But overall, just give it time. She will get it.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• kids talk in their own time. My daughter was a little behind..well the dr said she was. I think by 18 months she was suppose to be able to say a few words and at 2 years have a vocabulary of 20 words and by 3 anyone should be able to understand her but i don't know if that will happen but i can understand her.

some kids are late talkers but you can look into speech therapy
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• 2+ years my doc told me when my 18 month old was saying even less. Now she is 20 months and have started saying 10 new words just this week! GL
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• U can start to worry-maybe 3 or 3 in a half. my son is 2 in a half and has a limited vocab. but smart all other areas. i wouldnt worry too much. u can ask ur child's doc if ur concerned. GL
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• ATHomeMommy-3: She does understand allot more than she says, she can go get her sippy cup when asked, washcloth for bath time and even picks out books she wants for bedtime reading. She knows her dogs by name and will go to one when we say to. Lots of finger pointing when she wants things. I would say she is very smart little girl, really just thought words would be part of he communication by now. But reading these responses have calmed me a bit, thank you.
    bekmae777

Comment by bekmae777 (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Sep. 26, 2010