Do you think Facebook can break up a marriage?

I know a few couples around me that are having or have had marital issues due to these social networks. I personally don't think if you're married, you should be on there. The case has been where they find old friends or" exes", that they shouldn't really be friends with anymore. I have had friends that don't think their husbands should have one and then I think it should go both ways, to avoid these issues. Marriage is about compromise. So do you agree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Could not agree more. Married people do not belong on Facebook or MySpace. I read nothing but drama and horror stories regarding those sites. Just stay off them!
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• no i think that if you are a responsible adult in a marriage/relationship you should have enough self control and empathy for your partner to act appropriately online. My husband and i are both online(myspace and facebook) and it has never caused problems for us.

if you are going to have problems on facebook then you are going to have them offline as well.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No I don't think FaceBook or any other social networking sites ruin marriages.

People do.

Married people making stupid choices, and participating in behaviours/act that maybe they shouldn't be ruin marriages. They are just choosing to use social network site to do these things..The social networking site doesn't do that for them or to them.. They choose to do those things.

Just like how each and everyone of us chooses how we interact and conduct ourselves on CafeMom.. Every person, married, unmarried, young, old.. all make the choice has to how they are going to interact and conduct themselves on a social networking site.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 10:59 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I totally disagree but we have total trust. After 30 yrs of marriage it isn't an issue. We don't 'friend' people we don't know IRL, we don't friend exes, ever. My husband has reconnected with many shipmates from 30 yrs in the Navy. Mostly I've reconnected with people from high school and college. It is also a great way to stay in touch with family living distant from you. The internet is a dangerous place for anyone who lacks self control.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• No, I think trust, honesty, and faithfulness are the most important things that hold a marriage together. if those things are there.. facebook should not b a problem. if they arent there, the marriage was doomed from the getgo!
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 11:02 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I think it really depends on the marriage. If both partners are are ok with social networking sites then so be it .... as for my hubby and I we do not participate in that stuff!

I feel like strong marriages wouldn't break up over the site itself, but underlying problems.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• first of all myspace and facebook are meant for ppl to keep in touch such as family and friends. and even those that are married have just as much right as anyone else. if you are giving your spouse a reason not to trust you... then there is a problem... but if you have a jelious so then the marriage was bound to end anyways.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 11:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• My dh and me both have fb and so far no problem. But we have each other password and neither of us hide anything. I think if someone is going to cheat doesn't need fb as an excuse.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 11:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• As with anything you have to use common sense. If you or dh has problems with being faithful you should definitely stay off social networking sites. What good could possibly come from adding exes to your friends? Aren't they your ex for a reason?
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:06 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• no, its not facebook... its the people using it. just because you have facebook doesnt mean you have to talk to people you shouldnt be talking to.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:06 PM on Sep. 26, 2010