This is a question for all mommies with special needs kids??

How do you handle the stares and the remarks from complete strangers when you try to take you special child out and he acts up and you can't get him to stop?? Do you point out that he has special needs or do you just ignore it?? I am new at this and I am not sure how to handle it, but I am getting really tired of leaving a store crying because of peoples ignorance!!

redtang912

Asked by redtang912 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

• Well I have done both depending on my mood and tolerance for the stares. My sons have ADHD and one has Aspergers. They are constantly yelling and have endless energy. Sometimes I make it a joke and say ..We aren't at the Zoo...stop acting like animals. I sometimes add that they have their conditions but people that stare and judge usually are the ones who don't understand these things anyway. Other times when I get really critical looks, I usually try to ignore them.  at my wits end in the store...with all of the stares...I have said out loud... "kids for sale...if you think you can do a better job...I will make ya a great offer" This sure gets the people to stop staring fast!!! Then the focus is not on my kids, but their whacked out mom. LOL hope that helps...i am sorry that people can be soo insensitive and ignorant.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Do whatever makes YOU feel comfortable. Let the strangers stare... they're strangers & you'll probably never see 99% of them again. You don't have to explain or apologize for your child's condition to anyone! Of course, it's just courteous to try and calm a screaming child, but if you can't, you can't. Don't let this stop you from going out & enjoying time away from the house with your child. Do the best you can... that's all you can do.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2008