question about teething

my 3 -1/2 month old baby girl is teething, and I am horrified that her first tooth is the upper canine!!! The reason that I am so horrified is because the tooth is not emerging in the proper position, it's coming out as a "rider". Do you know what I mean? It's really upsetting and I am going to talk to our doctor and dentist tomorrow, but until then, has anyone ever heard of or seen this, and if so, do you think it would be ok to extract that one tooth when it fully emerges?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Teething at 3 1/2 months is early. It is not uncommon to have hard bumps over the canine areas in most babies. Canines do appear to come in as "riders" or along the buccal side of the gumline. It is also unusual for teeth to come in random order, usually the incisors come first (on the bottom before the top), but I have seen it. I wouldn't extract the tooth at this time unless it is loose and in danger of being aspirated by the baby. If it interferes with breastfeeding, you may be able to speak with a lactation consultant about positioning and other techniques.
    Angelwolf130

Answer by Angelwolf130 at 12:21 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Well see what your dentist says first. Another thing teeth come in random order. If shes in pain get teething tablets they are better than orajel.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I agree with ArmyWife. Talk to your ped. they will tell you if you need to go to a dentist. Use the teething tablets. I used to use Humphrey's....they worked really well.
    kaedrasgma

Answer by kaedrasgma at 12:20 AM on Sep. 27, 2010