truth about pain level if your induced?

who has had to be induced? i have three days left before my due date Sep 30th and my doctor at my next apt wants to start discussing induction. I have heard that it makes contractions allot more painful than if you went into labor naturally. i have also recently heard that they can induce by breaking your water without use of pitocin which would be less painful. going to talk about it with doc, but not sure if she would tell me true level of pain. should i push to keep waiting or you think induction won't be too bad? just curious

bekmae777

Asked by bekmae777 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Induction is forcing things to happen in an unnatural way~ this tends to be more painful for Mom and harsh for baby.
    :-(

A due date is the mid-point within the average estimated due period (of 38-42 weeks).
    If you don't give baby at least the average time opportunity then you are adding *unnecessary* risks to baby/you.

Induction is dangerous. IF safety is a priority, don't add these risks unless you are weighing your complications.
    If you don't have complications then why add the risk for some?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:42 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I was induced with both kids. I'm THRILLED it happened this way. Took the guess work out of it and got the pain meds in time because I was induced. Perfect. I know about four women who just missed an epidural because they waited it out. It doesn't hurt more than usual (or for me) because you get the epidural. Don't even worry about it. it's a piece of cake, lady!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:16 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I was induced and I didn't feel a contraction until I was maybe 8cm. With mine labor went really fast. They kept telling me my contractions were really strong and i should get an epidural but i couldn't feel them. They just felt like cramps i got on my period. Once my dr broke my water i was at 10cm in 15 min and that's when i got the epidural
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Inductions are not bad, at all. You will get the pitocin through an IV and you wait. Every little while they will up it, which will make your contractions a little closer. It doesn't hurt though. After a while, when the Dr. feels you're contracting well enough, they will then break your water. (You can't get an epidural before this) That doesn't hurt either when they break it. It just feels like a little pressure then very warm water. You'll continue to leak water for the rest of the time (you'll feel yuckie). Once the contractions start again, but before they get to be horrible, you'll have the option to get your epidural. Don't wait too long before you request it though, cause they might not do it if it's too late. For my induction, I was up to 6cm, nurse said she would be back in about 2 hours to check on me. I was feeling VERY uncomfortable so we called her back w/ in 10 minutes, baby's head was already coming out. FAST!
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 11:04 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I had to be induced, my doctor broke my water then I got the pitocin. This was my first baby and I have to tell you that I think that it wouldnt have been so bad for me, if I hadnt been so scared. I think induced contractions are worse than natural. But they control both of which with pain meds, which I recommend taking. After I got my epidural my labor was much more relaxed. I was only in labor for about 8 hours and my DS came pretty quick about 45 min of pushing. Just stay calm and it will be ok.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 11:09 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Wait until you're past your due date to see if you go into labor naturally. Pitocin hurts like hell and I wish that I waited a bit longer before I was induced. I was a week overdue and super uncomfortable but looking back I wish I waited.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 11:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• one more thing, you have MANY options than just lying there for labor if you're induced!! Tub, shower, walking, squatting, birthing ball...
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 11:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I was induced with my first and i will tell you it doesn't always work. i ended up with a c-section because after 8 hours I didn't progress past 1 1/2 cm. I went in at 1 cm. My body just wasn't ready. If I were you i would wait and see. Remember due dates are just estimates. They can be wrong.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I was induced twice and I got to walk around, sit on a ball, get in the tub... I don't have anything to compare it to, but I would do it the same way if I had to do it again. (I had pre-eclamsica the first time, and they were pretty sure I was headed in the same direction the 2nd time - both my kids were over 9 lbs a week and a half early)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:20 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I was induced being nearly a week late. I was terrified shaking, but it turned out to not be so bad. Contractions hurt but I was determined because she was my Vbac
    ChocoGreenmama

Answer by ChocoGreenmama at 11:28 PM on Sep. 26, 2010