mixed baby

my son is 3 and he is cuban italian and black im cuban and italian and his father is blackbut his father refuses to acknoweldge the fact that our son is mixed i called him a couple of weeks ago to tell him the doctor thinks the baby might have asthma and his response was black people dont get asthma when i told him this summer make sure you use sunblock on him the response was black peopl dont get skin cancer what do i do when his ignorance is endangering my child

mscmariee

Asked by mscmariee at 11:10 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Mixed babies are like any other baby. They have the same chance of getting sun burnt and asthma. He's just ignorant!!
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 11:12 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I think now would be a good time for him to have a get together with the pediatrician.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Hes just dumb, My son is hispanic and white and he still burns like any other kid! Find a new pedi and use your common sense you already know better!!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 11:14 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Saying black people don't get asthma is ignorant at best. Of course they do. Matter of fact, a friend of mine has worse asthma than I do.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Send him some information on asthma and sun protection. It doesn't sound like he is denying the child is biracial, but commenting on what he thinks is true for African Americans.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:19 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• First I feel for you that would stress me out. I'm a Black mom with a mixed baby her dad is puerto rican. I put sun block on my baby and her older full afro- american sister. Babies people everyone can suffer the effects of the sun protect your baby. I also have 4 relatives living with asthma
    ChocoGreenmama

Answer by ChocoGreenmama at 11:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Is it the father who is refusing to accept it or the doctor?
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 11:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• the father
    mscmariee

Comment by mscmariee (original poster) at 11:27 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• That's what I thought. I think you need to talk to the Dad and explain to him by denying it he is also denying you as the Mom.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 11:29 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• It sounds like he is in denial. Anybody can get asthma. I don't care how old you are. He's just being a jerk. Sunblock isn't going to hurt your child, he probably didn't use it growing up, so he probably thinks that his son doesn't need it either.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:04 AM on Sep. 27, 2010