What is your opinion of Christians?

I am asking because I am concerned about the type of witness Christians today are bearing for Jesus Christ. You may bash all that you want, but I will skip those and go on to read thoughtful, intelligent answers.

Zanjea

Asked by Zanjea at 11:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a Christian, but I certainly couldn't lump my opinion of other Christians into one category. It all depends on the person and they way they portray themselves. I think it ranges, unfortunately, from people who are far too self-righteous to those who don't show any indication of their faith at all.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:18 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Thank you for your reply. I agree that we can't group all Christians together, but I am really looking to get a feel for the overall view of Christians here on cafemom. I am really interested to see what people think. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
    Zanjea

Comment by Zanjea (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I am not a Christian but its not fair to put all people in the same catagory. Christians are no different than any other group, there are good people and those that are not so good. It all depends on the individual.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I know you don't want bashing and that is totally understandable, I wouldn't either. But your question is asking what people think of christians...,more often than not people are probably going to reply with how they feel about it. Sometimes how others feel about christianity has little to do with bashing but more how they honestly feel about it. I think that christianity is like a form of life insurance. People are scared that after they die they won't have a place to go, so people decided there was this magical place in the sky where there is man who knows all who will put up with you for the rest of eternity. That's just my take on it, everyone else can have their own opinion though, that's fine, that's just how I see it.
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Honestly? I am Christian, and I don't like most of my fellow Christians. Of course, some of those fellow Christians tend to tell me I'm going to hell because I am Catholic and I worship statues, etc. That coming from my very own uncle years ago.

I think it was Gandhi who said, "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." I think that is a very true statement, unfortunately.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Thanks for answering honestly. I am a little surprised that a simple question like this has people upset that I am stereotyping......In any case, I am still curious to see how people respond to this question, despite people's opinions about he flaws in the question itself!!
    Zanjea

Comment by Zanjea (original poster) at 11:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Christians in general? I think the majority of them are decent people who want the same things I do; to worship (or not) as they prefer. I think that most of them can see that not every path is the same path for everyone. I think that truly, though, most of them feel sorry for us non-believers because their religion teaches them that we are bound for a terrible place in the afterlife, and while I don't necessarily fault them for that, I don't like it.

I think that the annoying, mouthy ones are the minority; the ones that would see us non-believers believe no matter what it took, even if it was fear motivated instead motivated by a desire to learn (i.e. "you're hell bound!").

I have found that majority Christians don't take my belief system seriously, though; not that I require them to, it would just be nice to be accorded the same consideration I accord them.
    Guinhyvar

Answer by Guinhyvar at 11:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• The question is too broad to answer without basing it on stereotypes. I don't think anything different of Christians than I do of Jews or Muslims or atheists. What I don't like is when people are hypocrites and don't treat others with respect. Unfortunately, there is a lot of that in Christianity, but there is a lot of that everywhere, so it's unfair to label someone like that just because they are a Christian. I also think that many Christians get a bad reputation because they tend to be narrow minded and pushy in their beliefs, but again, I don't assume that someone is like that just because they tell me they are Christian. Some are that way and some aren't. In short, Jesus said it best: "By their fruits ye shall know them."
    MustangShelby

Answer by MustangShelby at 11:39 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Thank you so much for your honesty ladies. I must tell you though that Christianity does state that there is only one way to God/heaven and that is through a belief in Jesus Christ.

I am sad that there are Christians out there who disrespect others. I am also really really sad that there are others who tell people that they are going to hell, How dare they? Do they think that they are in charge of a soul's salvation? Don't listen to that, please. Christianity is supposed to be about LOVE, first, foremost and always....
    Zanjea

Comment by Zanjea (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Thank you Mustang Shelby, it is all about fruits isn't it? But, if you don't believe the same things as Christians, how can you recogniz fruits? (This is not a sarcastic question.) Is love the litmus test for Christianity or is it respect? Or are they the same things?
    Zanjea

Comment by Zanjea (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2010