my 12 yr old son just called me at work and told me he took a skateboard from someones yard! he stold it! he said he feels awful but is scared to take it back. I'm floored! :(

this is not like him, (not to sound like i am in denial). but i am shocked! he is so scared, he said "mom i don't know what i was thinking!"

blssdwtwins

Asked by blssdwtwins at 7:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Just the fact that he told you is awesome - sounds to me like you have raised him to know right from wrong the right wayt - sometimes the impulses can be quite over powering. He will remember this day for the rest of his life.... Good Job Mom!

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 7:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Hey - he TOLD you. He knows he screwed up and is looking for your help to fix the problem. That's a great thing as far as I'm concerned. Figure out what to do about it (knocking on the door and returning it is good) and then let HIM help you figure out his punishment. He'll be far harder on himself than you would be.

Sorry he made a mistake but congrats on raising a kid who will turn to you for help and can see the mistake once it's made!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I agree w/ both moms who congratulated u on the fact that he's honest. I stole a roll of lifesavers once when I was about the same age I think & my mom made me take them back in tell them what I had done. That was hard enough!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 8:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• The fact that he told you shows that he knows what he did was really wrong. After school I would go with him and make him return it and make sure he apologizes.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Good kid for feeling bad and telling you! I would make him take it back with you and have him apologize. He has a conscience....this is a good thing!
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 3:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Your son told you the truth, that is the wonderful thing. He understands that he made a bad choice, and he's sorry, He also understands that he must make amends for what he did. As the other mothers said you should go with him when he apologizes to show him support...
    texastornado

Answer by texastornado at 3:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• He told the truth. Let him off the hook and return the skateboard in the middle of the night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• 1st off, he told you-- which is a good sign.

My ds took some girls cell phone from the park and we had him return it to the family (we went with him) and made him apologize for doing the wrong. The family was just glad to get the item back . Also, when we got home we sat down together and I explained to him that stealing is wrong and we figured out a suitable punishment.

about a month ago, we were riding in the car when my son told me that a kid on the bus stold someones bike, he said it was wrong and he thought that the kid should take it back and apologize-- seems to me he learned a valuable lesson.
    mrsstoll14

Answer by mrsstoll14 at 7:58 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• good for him for telling the truth. You should be proud to have raised a son that feels comfortable enough with you to be honest. The next step is to show him that his actions have consequences. He should return to the scene of the crime, return the skateboard and apologize. Then you should place some form of restriction on him. Perhaps extra work around the house, or community service work etc. Something not too harsh that would make him not tell you the truth next time, but enough so he can reflect that all actions have consequences. Good luck to you and him.
    myboygage

Answer by myboygage at 11:22 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I'd talk to him and convince him to take it back and apologize.But tell him you'll go with him.and you are not mad at him.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2008