should I put up the crib bumper?

dd is 7 months old. She can crawl, pull herself up, roll over, etc. She moves to the corner of her bed each morning (or earlier...) and wakes up crying in pain. I am wondering if there is still a suffocation hazard with the bumper for a baby who is able to move around well. I have a bumper that ties at 12 places around the crib. thank you for your input:)

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 11:28 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you're suppose to actually take those down when a baby becomes mobile.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I've used one in dd's crib since she was little (she's one and a half), and we've never had a problem. does it tie at the bottom too?
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 11:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• it ties at the 4 corners and in the middle of the long sides. There are ties on the top and also on the bottom of the bumper.
    bloomsr

Comment by bloomsr (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• unless she's actually getting chubby little legs stuck in the crib slots, it's simply a cosmetic feature and a dangerous one at that. .... we used a breathable mesh one.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• ours is the same, then. I'll be honest, I've always been more concerned with her getting her arm or leg stuck in her sleep, but I'm definitely not qualified to give advice. I'll reasearch it and find you some links :)
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 11:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• when my daughter was 6 months her doctor told me to take the bumper off because of the suffocation reason. since your little one is now able to roll around and start to be mobile it wont hurt to take the bumper off. you'd rather be safe than sorry plus i was always checking on my daugther anyway cuz i wanted to make sure she was breathing and doing ok hope this helps in some way
    Glowey

Answer by Glowey at 11:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• here you go

http://www.babycenter.com/408_when-do-i-need-to-take-the-bumper-pads-off-my-babys-crib_1368447.bc
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 11:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I just re-read my question and it is unclear. DD does not have a bumper up now. I was considering putting one up so she doesn't bump her head on the wooden rails on the crib.
    After reading some posts, I don't think I will put it up. Thank you all for your input:)
    bloomsr

Comment by bloomsr (original poster) at 11:38 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Safe Sleep Program (A Eunice Kennedy Foundation for support of SIDS prevention) recommends not to use bumpers at all during infancy. The highest incidence of SIDS occurs in children under 1 year of age. Most children who are found after a SIDS event had crawled up in the corner of their cribs. You can visit the AAP.org for more info that may shed light on your dilemna.
    Angelwolf130

Answer by Angelwolf130 at 11:42 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• no bumper....peds told me no.
    lilpunkymom

Answer by lilpunkymom at 3:23 AM on Sep. 27, 2010