Is Impotence a valid reason for a divorce? adult content

My friend wants a divorce because her husband is impotent. I say that is not a valid reason for a divorce. She made a vow "for better or worse". In my opinion, worse includes impotence. What do you think? (How would that poor man feel if his wife left him because of a medical condition?)

Zanjea

Asked by Zanjea at 11:29 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• No! What a horrible excuse for divorce. I agree with you 100%.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:29 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Why doesnt her husband go see a doctor?
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 11:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I've gotta agree. that's no reason for divorce. there are options for couples who can't concieve. my aunt can't have children. instead of leaving her, my uncle adopted a baby with her, and my cousin is absolutely their world. I think the wife needs to really do some soul searching, and ask herself why she's being so unfeeling towards someone she made a promise to.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 11:33 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• i agree with you. i think it's an excuse. it's giving up because things didnt go as planned.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:33 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• sex shouldnt be a reason to stay or leave someone you love im sure she didnt marry him for his "package and delivery" there is always ways around that issue are you sure she isnt using that as an excuse for something else going on behind closed doors?
    veronicamw

Answer by veronicamw at 11:34 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• If her husband isn't seeking medical care or take steps to meet her needs other ways (penis pump, oral, etc...), I can't say that I blame her. Sex is a big part of the a marriage, and if he's not willing to make the effort, he's basically telling her he doesn't care about her feelings or needs in the marriage. It could be that he's not really impotent at all and is just getting his needs met elsewhere and not telling her. Or she is the one having the affair and just telling people he's impotent.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:35 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Impotance alone... No.

Now if my relationship began to erode because ot if.. That's a different thing all together. Impotence isn't a big deal. There are so many other ways (even sexual) that couples can share, connect and explore in the name of intamacy.

The problem would be if due to the impotence my husband went completely cold, and our intimate relationship on all levels suffered. Or if he suffered depression due to it (some men do, it's a really hard thing for some) or other issues and he didn't get help or want help to try and help.. If issues along those lines happened due to the impotence. And my husband would not get help or work together with me to address and hopefully fix those things.. Then, I can see myself considering divorcing if not divorcing for sure.

But leaving my 25 year marriage solely because of impotence.. Nope. Wouldn't happen.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Wow, ladies, I am so happy to see that you feel the way that I do. Now, I hope that my girlfriend can see the truth in this. By the way, her hubby won't take any medication because of the risk of side effects. Does this change your opinion in any way?
    Zanjea

Comment by Zanjea (original poster) at 11:36 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• my husband is my best friend and sex or not i would not leave him! sex shouldnot be such an important thing that you cant be happy if you dont get it. no, it is not a valid reason! thats horrible in my opinion!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:38 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• that doesnt change my opinion.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:38 PM on Sep. 26, 2010