Do you think there is a difference between a Pediatrician who has kids and one who doesn't?

Tell me what you think =]

ajc88

Asked by ajc88 at 11:40 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes I do. I believe that pediatricians that don't have children don't really know how to relate on a child's level. No two children are the same, and what might be right for one, may not be right for the other. They also give out printed information to give the parents because they can't relate. For the pediatricians who do have kids, can give you more insight and deal with them on a better level. I would definitely want one who has experience with their own children over ones that don't have any kids.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• in my opinion i think theres a huge differnece my daughters last pediatrician is a mom so it also helps to know there experience and what they do for there kid but also helps when your there for your kids check-ups or other reasons since they are a doctor and will have more knowledge than we do. hope this helps in some way
    Glowey

Answer by Glowey at 11:44 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I think there's a big difference, I really do. We've had both - a pediatrician with kids, and one without - and I always felt like the one without kids didn't relate to us well. She understood kids fundamentally, but she really didn't know what it was like to deal with them at home, day in and day out. She was more likely to brush off our concerns too. (At least, that's what it felt like.)
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• In some ways I do. I think having children could make them less judgmental of a mom making choices that suit her family best, but at the same time, it could make some people more judgmental if things are don't the way she would do them.

Either way, I want medical advice from a doctor, not parenting advice.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Yes. Pediatricians with children have personal insight to share, who have gone through what moms or dads have. They may have more solutions from their own frustrations
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 11:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I do. It's kind of like a woman gynecologist, she knows how it feels and understands whereas a male gynecologist has the same schooling but he doesn't have the same organs so he can't truly understand just like a childless pediatrician. I would prefer a pediatrician with a child/children
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I think the main difference between a pediatrician with kids or one without kids is their ability to understand, at least to a certain degree, what another parent is going through. Although there are some doctors who don't have kids and are completely empathetic, and others who have kids and seem like they don't give a scratch. It really comes from the heart of their own upbringing and how their family valued children, or their morals on how children should be reared.
    Angelwolf130

Answer by Angelwolf130 at 11:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I believe that a pediatrician that who has children truely understands what parents feel and fear with their kids. The other thing that I truley believe is that no matter what the pediatrician says, unless he/she it there with you at 3:00 AM they do not get a vote in the small decisions I make when it comes to my child.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 12:10 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i dont think so, as long as you know your job than it shouldnt matter if you have kids or not
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 3:53 AM on Sep. 27, 2010