Breastfeeding Tips - I am about to Give up and I dont want to!

Does anyone have any latching techniques they can share. I have large nipple/areolas and a lactation consultant said that might be my problem. I did great with my 11 day old after the LC left but today was awful. She wont open her mouth wide enough to latch. When she is able to latch its only for five minutes and she is crying and fighting me and then gets so exhausted she falls asleep. I wanted to do this so badly but now I am back to pumping and bottle feeding my breast milk.

Does anyone have any tips?

1stimeMomover30

Asked by 1stimeMomover30 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they do sell nipple shields at Target/Walmart/ maybe walgreens, etc. These helped a lot with my son's latch- but it can be hard to go back to only nipple after using them. Call LC or a nurse at the hospital for more advice.
    I know with my dd (who is still bf at 7 months) it was REALLY hard to get the hang of breastfeeding. I was so close to giving up many times. Now I am really glad that I didn't.
    Using a boppy pillow or arranging other pillows to help hold up the baby is a good idea until your arms get used to holding up babys weight.
    breastfeeding is hard at first. give yourself encouragement. You have never done this before. your baby is not used to breastfeeding. it takes awhile to learn how to do it.
    also, try joining a breastfeeding group on this site. There are women on those sites who can give loads of great advice.
    Congratulations on your new addition!!! Take care- hope this helps!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:46 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• yea, nipple shields. and try getting them going a little before you try and latch, like squeeze out a few drops, don't forget to relax so that you have a let down, it will be alright I promise, deep breaths
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:50 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• oh, the reason i'm stressing relaxation is because both of you sound frustrated and stressed. even drinking a little beer won't hurt and may help you just relax
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:51 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• try stroking the side of her cheek with your nipple as she opens her mouth in response (its reflex) slide your nipple into her mouth. If you have large areolas/nipples her mouth might not cover all of your areola like nursing books show. If she is crying and fighting she might be hot or uncomfortable. try the football hold or switching breasts. But definatly try the cheek trick it does work it is a reflex response where they open their mouth wider. Good luck and bear with it it does get better i swear.
    danni1982

Answer by danni1982 at 11:54 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Well first make sure your not giving her a pacifier. It could really confuse her. I feed on demand with my lil one but it might be more helpful for you to put her on a feeding schedule so she doesn't get so hungry and stressed out. trying feeding her every 2 or 3 hours on the hour. It will be hard for a couple days but if might help until she starts latching easier. I have really big nipples/areolas and it really is a pain but the thing that really helps me is (and this sounds really funny) you know how when you're eating a really big sandwich... your not gonna just put a lil in your mouth. You gonna sqush it a lil so you can fit it in your mouth. Well its the same with breastfeeding. When you latch her on squeeze your areolia area like you would squeeze a really big sandwhich or handbuger and bring her head to you. It also helps for me to put my thumb on her lil chin and kind of push it down when she's opening
    kaylaylshfr

Answer by kaylaylshfr at 11:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• her mouth a little bit. make sure your bring her head to you and not your boob to her! and try to just stick with the breast for a while.Stop bottle feeding her if you really want to breast feed. Your really confusing her. If she gets hungry enough she will latch on. babies have really small tummies so they don't need much. and if none of that works talk to her Dr! Don't give up though honey!
    kaylaylshfr

Answer by kaylaylshfr at 11:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I used a nipple shield and it helped a ton. I used it for almost 4 months then was able to slowly stop. This was my third baby and I have nursed all three and all three were very hard for me to nurse, hang in there. I worked with a Lactation Consultant and also attended a support group. One thing the LC had me do was to lay back while nursing. Part of my problem was that I had a very strong let down and she just couldn't keep up and would get frustrated and pull off. Leaning back helped alot, and the nipple shield helped to slow the flow as well. You are doing a great job this is not something that is easy for everyone it takes time for both of you to learn.
    Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 12:01 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Nipple shields would be the easiest way-be careful because they come in a couple different sizes. A LC may be able to help with fit. If your nipple still tend to go flat, it may be useful to try breast shells, which are breathable hollow cups you place over your nipple inside your bra. The purpose is to encourage the nipple to protrude into the hole of the cup and potentially loosen or break any adhesions that may be keeping your nipple flat. Some people have pumped for a little bit right before trying to latch the baby because it helps pull the nipple out more and hopefully triggers letdown quicker so your frustrated baby can have the "instant gratification" he seeks. If this works, make sure you try to feed him before he gets himself into a frenzy. Also, try not to use any lotions, soaps or oils on or near your breasts. Babies usually prefer your smell "au naturalle".
    Angelwolf130

Answer by Angelwolf130 at 12:15 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I had the same problem with my son. It can be so frustrating. I'd try nipple sheilds. They worked wonders for me! Good luck!! :))
    bjones2552

Answer by bjones2552 at 12:58 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Like the others have said, a nipple shield can be a life (and sanity) saver. Something else I found helpful is to pump long enough to get some let down and it'd also help shape the nipple a little better (mainly an issue in the very beginning when I was WAY over engorged), and then switch real quick to the baby. There'd already be some milk there so she wouldn't get frustrated trying to get it, and the nipple would be easier for her to grasp onto.

Stick with it! Once you get the hang of it, it gets SOOOOOOOO much easier! The beginning can be rough, but it's SO worth it! Good luck!
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 1:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2010