Serving veggies lead to eating more veggies?

Okay Parents magazine article again...

Veggie Time
In a Penn State study. children got carrot sticks with a low-fat dip before eating lunch. When the amount of carrots doubled, kids ate 47% more. Serving more veggies lead to eating more veggies.

My opinion - I believe that is probably true. We grew up with veggies. I love veggies. I have given them to my two year with dip and he absolutely loves veggies....

What are your opinions?

ajc88

Asked by ajc88 at 11:55 PM on Sep. 26, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I've always served veggies. My kids go through phases where they'll say they hate a specific veggie, but I keep on serving it and only require they take one bite during this time. They like a large enough variety I'm not concerned that my oldest hates tomatoes, for instance. I believe in leading by example. I didn't like veggies as a child, but since becoming an adult I've learned different ways to prepare them and I eat them often now. It seems kids always want what Mom has, so by doing this I think its lead to them being more willing to try new things.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:57 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• Yes, I think it's true! I started doubling the amount of veggies I served with chicken, etc and found that over time my girls were much more likely to eat more of them. If I serve more chicken than veggies, they're almost guaranteed to not touch it. Weird how that works?!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:56 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I remember when my son came home from school and told me that he had trees for snack. (it was broccoli) He loved it. One thing that I have noticed if vegatables aren't introduced in that first year, they are less likely to eat them later. And yes, if they see mom eating vegetables they will be more likely to eat and or try them.
    kaedrasgma

Answer by kaedrasgma at 12:15 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I agree totally with this! I found that if you cut them up and stick them in the fridge ready to eat, they also eat more. My son would choose cut up broccoli & carrots with a dip over chips and dip any day.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 9:17 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• that's because we serve more to our children that they eat more. there was a study among children that first they gave the children the proper size meal for their age and a few days later the same food with more food, some children ate more and others don't so it is better to stick to right portions.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 3:22 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I could give my DD the whole bag and she still won't eat any, so I think it depends on the kid.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think it depends on the kid too. My dd loves veggies, I am lucky
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• The body will crave more of whatever you give it. Sugar=wanting more sugar, fruits and veggies= wanting more fruits and veggies.
    check out www.childrenshealthstudy.com great info.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 5:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Sure would love it if this worked on my son.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:59 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• IDK, my kids go through phases... but if it is served, it is there, LOL.
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 12:33 AM on Sep. 29, 2010