Getting stuff done once crawling/walking happens.

Right now I get a fair amount of household chores done when my daughter is awake, but I definitely spend much more time with her. I love hanging out with her and playing and enjoying the baby days. She is only 5 months now. Right now if I need to make bottles or do dishes, I let her play on the floor where I can see her. My question is when babies get to the age where they can crawl/walk, how in the world do you get things done? This may sound silly, but I am truly concerned.

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 7:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The same way that you do now. I never changed how I did anything once they started crawling and walking.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 8:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• You don't. Okay, not really. :-) If the floor is clean, it's no big deal because your baby will probably want to play with you. Otherwise you can clean during naps or when your spouse is home...
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 8:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I am struggling with this also - but in my case its because my son doesn't seem to let me out of his site without cry crawling and he'll be 1 in 3 weeks, ( he's been a difficult one since birth ) and I actually took a day off work tomorrow to spot clean my whole house - ugh!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• You do what you are doing now...they can either follow you around, or you can judiciously utilize the baby gate or playpen in an area where you can keep and eye on them and they can see you, while you get stuff done in short bursts---plus there is aways naptime.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Well my daugter is almost 7 months and she is crawling and all over the place. We do the play on the floor thing also works great. Well in order for me to get anything done in the house while she is awake I will set up what i call the "safe zone" . I block her in the living room with the coffee table and set up cushions and pillows all around the perimeter taking care of anything I think she can get into. I put her toys in the middle and turn a cartoon on and she is good for a little bit. I continously check on her and we do fine with that. Its doesnt look neat in the house but is works while your doing dishes and laundry.
    RKLudy

Answer by RKLudy at 10:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Usually start crawling around 7 to 8 months. Walking 9 to 14 months. Just get a playpen. At very least make sure everything is babyproof.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 11:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2008