Thanksgiving

Do you celebrate Thanksgiving with a lot of family, friends, or just your immediate family? We are military and we end up celebrating with friends every year. Well, it feels like extended family lol. Though it changes year after year, I always feel like I'm celebrating with family, even though our real family is thousands of miles away! But I often wonder how nice it would be to just do our immediate family!

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 12:12 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Holidays

• i love thanksgiving so much that we got married 2 days before...lol but we have such a big family that we celebrate one weekend for our anniversary,one weekend with my side of the family, one weekend with my hubby's side,and then i cook on the day of thanksgiving for my immediate family or friends that want to come by...then the evening of thanksgiving my hubby's whole family goes to the convalescent home where my mother in law is,there is a big room they let us have and we pot luck and my hubby brings his guitar and we sing and just entertain my mother in law....we've been doing this for 13 years....great memories....ps thankyou to your hubby for his service to our
    country.....best wishes
    janomoma

Answer by janomoma at 12:25 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Usually just my parents. I like it. I'm more about the food on Thanksgiving than doing anything special.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:18 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Since me and my husband moved in together (3yrs ago) we have celebrated Thanksgiving and Christmas at my house with my family since I am the cook of the family and his family lives out of state. We plan on moving out of state in the next year or so and will then be cooking for some of his family, but I am going to miss my mom, brother and sister. We have actually talked about having my mom and sister come out for a few holidays, we'll see. I love having my whole family there, but as long as people like my food I guess I can't complain. Everyone says I am a great cook, but my hubbys mom who is disabled and an awsome cook will be who I cook for when we move and I am nervous. I told her I will take any advice she gives lol. For right now it's just my immidiate family.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:23 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Aw thanks janomoma :)

We always end up cooking at our house, because DH has a turkey fryer and everybody loves the fried turkey we got them hooked on lol. We just cook the main dishes (turkey, ham, and cornbread dressing), and I always cook desserts. then everybody else bring sides, and I always make spiced apple cider to drink too. I love Thanksgiving, and it's a great day for us to get together with all of our friends who are here, and to be thankful for those who are not. I sometimes wish we could be with our families, but it's too expensive to travel on the holidays.
    AprilDJC

Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 12:31 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I grew up in the military, I can't imagine not having Thanksgiving with lots of friends, and maybe a few family members. I host Thanksgiving every year, our single friends or those without family close by always come - it's my favorite holiday!!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:47 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Just me, my husband and son have dinner together.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I celebrate Thanksgiving with my parents, my grandmother, my mom's sisters and brother, their spouses and all of my cousins on my mothers' side. We now live eight hours away from my family though, so we'll be driving to SC from FL this year for Thanksgiving. I'm really looking forward to it. :) My grandma does a big dinner at her house and it's a fun time.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2010