Developmental question for you mommies. Is it normal for a four year old to write his/her numbers down on paper from 1 to 20 without direction?

I just want to know. My autistic SS just did that and I am floored.

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 8:02 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes four year olds CAN do that with proper teaching. Four year olds can read and write if the parents have enough time to devote to teaching their kid to do so. I know of some 14 month olds that can read a few words. Average children as young as 9 months have been known to be able to recognize written words and pictures. I.E. a 9 month old can see the word foot on TV and when asked, point to what that word is and they can point to their own feet. With patience and deligence, a four year old can read, write and count as well as a 2nd grader.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• sounds like his specialty might be math. my autistic son is good with colors and artistic things. most autistics have a special skill like that, some is music, others math, or art.
    Anonymous

• He COULD be a MILD autistic savant but there are usually more profound signs with savants. Savants usually have unusually great memory or musical skills. Being able to write to 20 without ever being taught COULD qualify him as an autistic savant.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 8:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Naaa he is not a savant at all. He just watches lots of videos that teach.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 8:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• WOW!! Are you sure he's autistic? lol My four year old can't do that by a long shot!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 11:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Autistic or not he sounds wonderful! Give him an extra hug!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:19 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My son just turned five, and we've instructed him on how to write since he was two. His teachers have told me how amazed they are how well he writes (sometimes better than second graders). My three year olds have been instructed-but they don't care. I think both is pretty normal. But not being instructed, and being able to do it anyway-yes, I'd say that that's pretty amazing. My brother-in-laws, yes, two of them, are autistic, and I think it's amazing what they can do.  Aren't they awesome!!!??

McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 11:22 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My almost three year old recognizes all the numbers 1-20..I don't know if he could/would write them or not though. He did, however, just write his name today for the first time! And I didn't even know he could spell it yet!

My current 4 year old has been doing it for over a year now...and writing his name and other words if told the letters. He's now reading a bit, too.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2008