What or how would you handle if you found out your nephew is gay?

he is 18 and decided to come out we all still love him the same nothing is going to change I just don't know how his mom and her parents will take the news :(
My dh always said he might be but that was between he and I and yes I noticed feminim ways of him but didn't take it further. I just hope and pray he is happy.
Thanks Ladies!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• my nephew is gay ,its his choice he doesnt flaunt it and i just pray he is safe
    slyvester

Answer by slyvester at 8:56 PM on Oct. 9, 2010

• I would hug him and tell him how much I love him and how proud I am that he is being true to himself. I would also offer to be with him for moral support when he tells his parents.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:39 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You accept him and then make sure that he knows he's got somewhere to go should his parents not be as accepting as his Aunt and Uncle.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:00 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would basically say, that's nice dear now please pass the carrots. i mean seriously, what difference does it make?
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 7:56 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Love and support him - nothing has changed, he's still the same person he was before he was "out." I hope his parents take the news well, if not, he's really going to need you.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:37 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• There is nothing to handle he hasn't changed, just continue to love and support him now he needs it more than ever.

Answer by older at 7:30 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Be there for support. Continue to love and cherish him. Be there for his parents as well.
    Heartmusic

Answer by Heartmusic at 11:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My feelings or reactions would be no different than my nephew (or any other family member) telling me that they are straight. Being gay is a non issue to me.

So if any family member came out (which my son's god-parents are a same sex couple, so again it wouldn't be a big shock.. lol) they would be loved, respected, cherished, etc.. and treated the same as they were always treated.

These questions are always hard for me to answer on a level. Because, being gay isn't an issue, so I never understand why anyone would look at, or treat someone they love (especially a family member) different because they are gay.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My mom is in the same situation as my cousin is gay. But like your husband, we all know pretty early on that he was. I said the same thing about my best friends brother and sure enough, he came out a few years back. How it's handled depends on the person. I personally say who are we to judge on who these people are attracted to? I hope that my own children do not end up being gay but that's just me not wanting assholes to judge or mock them.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 2:18 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Nothing has changed. Let it be as it always has been between you and him. You have no control how others will react. Be there for him if he has angry reactions from others. Best wishes
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:39 AM on Sep. 27, 2010