Do you think that the military is underpaid or overpaid?

The actress that played Laverne from "Laverne and Shirley" said at one point after the war started that the military was overpaid. The military and their families beg to differ. Especially when on deployment and dealing with exchange rates to buy their bare neccessities. Are they overpaid when some troops are being months in spider holes using baby wipes to clean theirselves (my stepdad was that troop)?

ssnelson26

Asked by ssnelson26 at 8:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• continued---Do you believe that for all they've gone through dealing with this war that they aren't being compensated? i'm not asking for more money personally, this just came to my head thinking baout some of our younger lesser rank soldiers with small budding families. (For military families only) Also do you think that for Overseas assignments, the soldier is paid for his dependent and for their economy, but in the states with our economy going the route it is that the soldiers are only paid a base pay, housing (if off station) and groceries (that taxes take away)
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 8:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• HELL NO. My husband is under paid. Why is it fair to have a football player, baseball player, basketball, hockey all make more money then someone who fights for their right to do so. Our men go out and have bombs shot at them or bullets. While they have families at home who are missing their soldier, sailor, marine, and can barely survive. People who think we are over paid need to have a life in our husbands shoes. Then lets see if they feel the same way. A manager at McDonalds makes more than most of our military members do and these military members work more than 90hrs a week. My husband has found a job doing the same thing he is doing now except as a civilian and he can make 3 times more and work way less than what he is.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 8:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• very underpaid.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 8:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Our husbands are told when to eat, shower, poop, pee, sleep, wake up. They can't just call in sick. If they have to work until 1a.m. they don't get over time. They have to work for 24hrs at a time with maybe 3hrs of sleep. They don't get over pay for that either. They get the same pay no matter how much they work.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Military overpaid?! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Sure...and $15 million a year to kick a ball around is not overpaid. Give me a break! My dad was almost killed twice in Iraq. My mom at home struggling to pay the bills while working 2 jobs herself and trying to take care of 2 kids (my one brother and I were in high school and college, respectively, and able to care for ourselves, but we still lived at home). It's not just the military, either....I believe that cops, firefighters, and teachers are way underpaid, too.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 8:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• definitely underpaid!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I think many are underpaid not just the military.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 8:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Definately Underpaid, and under-cared for when they return to the USA.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I'm a soldiers wife, so yea I know what you're talking about. I don't know where that actress came up with the idea that the military is "overpaid" b/c they're not my husband is an E-2 pvt and we only get 2600 a month, and with our loans, basic nessisities, insurance, rent, and other bills that doesn't leave much from 2600 a month. If anyone is being over paid it's IMO the celebs!!! They get paid millions just for memorising lines and the military gets paid crap compaired to the for going out into dangerous situations, not to mention coming home with things they may have gotten over in the other country, ptsd, injuries, etc.
    Anonymous

• The military is extremely underpaid. For all my husband has done for this country, deployed three times has TWO purple hearts and still continues to fight even after he watches 4 of his closest comrads die. These men and women deserve more for what they do for this country instead of actors and actresses making millions just for showing up at a party.
    Anonymous