Do you ever wonder what life would be like if your SO passed away?

I'm not a morbid person but my husband is hunting right now and I can't help but wonder what my life would be like if he passed away while hunting.... Him and I live in his family's farm house that is going to one day be willed to us and I know the family would tell me that I should stay here (I'm pregnant with his baby, they wouldn't put us out on the street). His family would be here for me.... but I wonder about our friends, if I'd ever marry again, would I want to have more children someday, where I would move to, would I go back to school ect. Am I the only one who wonders what would happen if....? I don't want to confuse anyone- I do NOT want anything to happen to my husband and I would be absolutely devastated if something ever did happen to him, I just wonder sometimes. My boss's husband was killed when her daughter was almost two and since she told me that I've thought, what would I do? What would you do?

Sonnyswife

Asked by Sonnyswife at 2:23 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• My family and his would help out. But I would probably move back to the woods and never marry again. I would be very sad for a long time.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 2:32 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Well, my husband is an infantry marine. They deploy all the time. It is always a constant worry. They tell us that no news is good news.. Although sometimes it seems like you would rather hear their voice coming thru the phone or get an email from them which isn't very often at all. It is like constantly being stressed.. upset to see everyone else's husband home.. but you just do it. For us, it just starts to become a way of life. I am sure it will be harder this time for my two year old but my four month old won't really notice a difference. I just try to keep everyone busy - and no watching the news whatsoever.. It is about having a good support system but the worry never goes away. If that day came then I probably would never be the same. I don't know the real impact it would have on the kids until later. I know that I would have help from both his & my family would be there for us. And honestly, I probably wouldn't remarry
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 3:49 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My husbands been in quite a few accidents before and since we got together so I think about it every once in a while, although, I really try not to. This much I know for sure, it would be very, very hard for me and the kids. I kind of have my own liittle "campaign" going where I'm trying to keep my husband safe and alive.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 4:50 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I worry about that sometimes... But I really try to cast my cares upon the Lord for hsi careth for me... Soemtimes easier SAID than DONE though... One of my husband's older friends just told him last Saturday at a football game that her husband died in a car accident just 8 months prior. My husband explained that he was such a nice guy. I looked at my husband and thought that my husband is a nice guy and I wasnt sure that I could be at a football game 8 months later... Or maybe I would... we do enjoy those football games.. But it would definitely HURT!
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 12:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I worry about it when he is away. What if something happened? How would I tell the kids, who aren't old enough to understand?! I try not to worry too much about it, because it would make me sick. I would be extremely depressed for a long time and probably move back to my parents for help. I would not date or remarry. I just cant imagine life without him...
    Becca1189

Answer by Becca1189 at 12:08 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• no i don't wonder that but i know what we would do such a thing happen and it wouldn't be much different then what i had before i married him.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• yeah it would be sad but you move on in time & be happy again
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Yeah I do think of that. I know I'd be heart broken. We both have life insurance so I'd know that my son and I would be taken care of if something were to happen to him. I think we'd (my son and I) take a year off. We'd have enough life insurance to pay all the expenses for a year. I'd cry a lot. Then we'd probably buy a home and I'd go back to school.

I don't think I'd try and date, but I'm only 23 so it would make sense for me to get remarried. But he'd have to be a pretty dang good guy to win my heart.

Hopefully I'm not being morbid. I think the most important thing for me is just knowing that our family would be alright if something were to happen to one of us.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2010