Is there medicine I can take to produce more breast milk, I f so is there any side affects.

LilMama1488

Asked by LilMama1488 at 2:58 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The doctor will probably Rx you Eglanol. It's extremely effective but you don't lose weight like you do while BF naturally. I got the Berry Elixir (In South Africa, not sure what it's called overseas) It did the job perfectly. Perhaps just check with your Pharmacist
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 3:05 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Fenugreek. It's actually an herb, it can be taken through capsules though or you could try a tea, but it might take a lot of tea. but you should research it and talk to your doctor. as far as i know the only side effect is that it makes you and your baby's sweat and urine smell like maple syrup. :) GL
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 3:07 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I have always heard that drinking a beer increases milk production...just ONE though!
    rocknroth

Answer by rocknroth at 3:09 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• CassyzMom, did you mean Eglonyl? If that's what you mean, it's not approved in the U.S. and it's originally prescribed as an anti psychotic, is that safe to take while breast feeding?
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 3:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Nursing more is the best milk producer. The more baby is put to breast, the more you make. Do you "think" your supply is low and why do you think so? If it is because your breast don't get the full feeling, then baby and breast have regulated. If baby acts fussier, it may be a growth spurt.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Why do you think you need more milk?

How old is your baby? How many wet diapers do you see daily? (NEVER look at input, always look at output).
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:46 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My dr. prescribed me reglen (sp?). I don't know if it really worked and the main side effect is drowsiness, which is really torturous as a new mom. I used it though because I would have tried anything.
    jacksmom1225

Answer by jacksmom1225 at 8:58 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I am with amileegirl.

Why do you think that your supply is low? If you are gettin 6-10 wet diapers in a 24 hour period, you are producing enough.

If baby is fussing and nursing more often, they are prompting your body to produce more for a growth spurt.

If you are gauging your supply by pumping, know that only a very small percentage of women can pump effectively. It's normal to only get 1oz per pump session. A baby will pull 3-4x's that out of you.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:22 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• What is the specific issue you are having? There IS an rx medication that is sometimes prescribed, though it does carry a side effect of depression I believe. It's not something you should take unless absolutely necessary. There are other things you can do to boost your supply if it is needed. Let us know what is going on, why you think your supply is low, specifically, and what you have already tried.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2010