How far would you go?

We moved to Australia to be closer to my parents. After feeling guilty living so far away from my Mom, who only has my kids for Grandchildren. And every time we spoke on the phone she would cry & cry & cry... you get the picture! (They moved to Australia about 7 years ago.)
My husband and I are of the adventurous sort... we've traveled extensively and in the 10yrs that we've been married we've moved 10+ times to places including:
California, Florida, Caribbean, Australia, South Africa, etc.
We have been in Australia for 6 months now and things have been pleasant up until 5 months ago. Small tid-bits of drama sparked on my Dad's side. To a point where we try to avoid seeing them. We only moved here for them... Not that we don't "like" Australia, but we don't really see it as home.
Here's my question: (I feel your whispered sighs of relief)
Should I feel quilty if my husband & I really want to move back out of Australia?

XenLife

Asked by XenLife at 3:01 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No. Definitely not. If you are not happy your kids are going to pick up on it. And its your life so making you and your kids happy is what you need to focus on. Maybe you can move far enough away to be rid of the drama but close enough for visits. Good Luck!
    1boyand4girls

Answer by 1boyand4girls at 8:46 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• No. I arranged my life so our parents would be happy and none of us are happy. I wanted to leave, had the opportunity to, had the job waiting, and parents guilted us into staying. Now with the economy we are trapped and I am resentful. I would do what makes you happy especially under the circumstances. Yes, iknow Aussie is beautiful but it sounds like it;s time for a new adventure. Do what your heart tells you and just simply say what you did. Time to move on. To your next adventure.
    treece

Answer by treece at 3:34 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Of course not. Just make sure you tell them you love them!
    JoanColi

Answer by JoanColi at 3:41 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• No, I think that it is your decision on where you choose to live. You gave it a shot - tried to make it to where they could see the grandchildren grow up... But the whole drama thing will stress many people out to no end. I think you and your SO should decide what would be best for your family - and just go with it! You aren't going to be able to please everyone in life! So make sure atleast you, your SO, and children are happy =] I wish you the best of luck with your decision!
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 3:59 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Since you like to travel and are willing to relocate...I hear New Zealand is awesome, and not so far from your folks that you couldn't see each other once in a while.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 4:21 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would love to travel just about anywhere. My daughter went to Australia when she was very young and loved it, Of course, me being the Mom that I am I really missed her and worried about her. But, it never did any good to worry did it. Now both of my girls are in college and working hard to make their way in life.
    marydu76

Answer by marydu76 at 5:36 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• No. If you are not happy then you should do what you have to, to be happy. As long as you think of your child's happiness as well of course.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 6:59 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• No,you shouldn't feel guilty at all.If you aren't happy there and want to move,then you should.
    Sounds like you live an exciting life! All the places you've been.Enjoy it!!
    GingerKitten

Answer by GingerKitten at 8:16 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Don't feel guilty, move where you WANT to live. Best of luck to you!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:19 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I don't think it's your place to be the one who make your parents happy. They are adults & if they want to be a part of your child's life, then they should be the ones to move closer to you. Don't feel obligated to make them happy. You have your own life & child to worry about.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:18 AM on Sep. 27, 2010