medical assistant vs certified nursing assistant?

Does anyone know the difference or if there is one? If there is a difference which is better? I am hoping to get into the medical field without many years of school. I dislike school and I need to be able to support my daughter better asap. Also has anyone heard of alpine college and if so is it a good school and will I be able to find a job easily if I go there?

xredstarsx

Asked by xredstarsx at 4:17 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• I was a CNA for 20 yrs before I got my LPN. I was making 16.35 an hr. I loved it because it gives you flexiblity with your working schedule. It also offers all the benifits that you need....Its hard physically. It can stress you out, but so do most medical jobs. A medical assistant works mainly in md offices, mon-fri and usually no weekends or holidays. Pay rate is about the same when you first start.
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 6:07 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• certifed anything = more $$
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:09 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Dont let ppl fool you there is nothing good about being a CNA...its hard work and most of the time ppl only want to use you as a maid..I was a CNA for many years also made about 12 an hour and it still wanst enough to cover my gas and horrible treatment from diff ppl...Now every so often you will get elderly ppl to work for and thats ok but the younger ones are horrible..and most of the time dr offices dont use medical assistants
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• make sure and do your research on accreditation of the schools you are looking at- if they do not have the right ones-you can't get certified for medical assisting. I was going to go when we were in Utah, and only found 1 school with the right ones
    look up what accreditation is required to take the test to be certified and go from there

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:48 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Medical assistants are trained in more short term care where CNAs are trained for more long term., i.e. nursing homes. I used to teach at one of the local colleges in the medical assistant program. It is roughly 1-2 year program where the nursing assistant program is just a few months long (from what my mom took)
    nei-nei

Answer by nei-nei at 9:54 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Around here, medical assistants also do a lot of clerical dutes. A nursing assistant should be more hands on with the medical aspect of the job.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:32 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Much more medical training for a CNA.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 11:41 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• send me a PM if you want to know more. It's no problem....but seriously, you can become an RN for about the same amount of time for sometimes less money by a school with no questionable ethics and make way more money.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2010