whats the best age to give child the sex talk?

toybar02

Asked by toybar02 at 4:28 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think the average age for a girl to start having periods is around 12 so I guess around then. I remember having partial sex ed. in sixth grade and then, the full version in eighth or ninth grade.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 5:11 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My dd will be 7 next month and we just had most of the talk! (Yeah I hate it too) I knew 3 of her very close friends had just had the talk from their parents because of things that were said at school. She was asking lots of questions last Saturday and we had some time alone. I figured I might as well be the one to tell her before one of her 3 friends.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 5:19 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• A lot of girls are getting their periods at nine and ten. I plan on starting the "talk" when my DD turns about 7, which will be basic anatomy and such and we will just add in more things to this talk when I feel she would be ready to know more. I plan on having this "talk" until she gets out of the house.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 6:41 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• We dont have set age we just go with when they ask questions, though out their life.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 7:49 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You should start talking when they are big enough to listen. Meaning...have convos from birth almost. Slowly adding until school age. Some kids start puberty at 8 or 9, so, early talk is better. By 10, they should know what you know. I say this because kids at school talk and you want your kid to be well informed and not be misguided by school kids that weren't taught properly and pass on false ideas. Like the kids my son has already had to set straight. I feel sorry for those kids to be in the dark as they are.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:10 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• They want to know more as they get older. Answer the questions as best you can when they arrise. Lots of the time they just want to know a certain amount for now. Keep it age appropriate but honest and open and let them know they can talk to you about anything.
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 8:35 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I have only boys, so I can only speak from that perspective. Mine were of different ages because their personalities and questions. My oldest had asked what were pads and tampons for at about age 9. So we started there and it led to the difference between men and woman and the purpose of the difference. Also, we knew he was going to get "family life education" in 4th grade. My youngest son was one of those kids that just didn't want to know anything! He's very shy and embarasses easily! So the summer before he went to 7th grade he and I had a talk that was geared to his specific questions and personality. My DH is their "go to guy" now when it's male specific and I handle the rest.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 8:52 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i think the basics about boys and girls being different from when they learn their parts, and then sex around 8-10 depending on the child. you should never forget about safe sex talk as well. they should know everything.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:00 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• like 10! I started my period at 11, so seems right..JMO
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:10 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I feel this type of information should be an ongoing process. I believe in giving even small children as much info as they want (and no more). I raised rabbits when the kids were little, so this helped the process. When my son asked where the baby bunnies came from, I told him they grew in the mommy's tummy, but he didn't ask how they got there. As the curiosity grow, then the info given can be more detailed. For the "whole story", I say around 9 or 10, especially for girls.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2010