I had my first cup of coffee when I was six what age do you think is an appropriate age to give a child coffee?

toybar02

Asked by toybar02 at 4:29 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think there is a right age... I don't think children need coffee... that's more of an adult drink.
    My kids certainly don't need coffee... they're hyper as it is... I can't imagine hyping them up more on coffee... that'd be nuts.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 5:30 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Now days caffeine is in more then just coffee. So it is hard to say no caffeine tell you are __ age.  But coffee is to be an adult drink. So 16 on up is when I alowed my kids to drink it.

Answer by louise2 at 5:48 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Kids drinking coffee??? ARE YOU CRAZY...LOL LOL... As if they aren't jumping off the walls already!! I don't think ANY kids should be drinking coffee... There is no healthy anything to it.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:07 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Letting your kids try coffee is not the the end of the world but consider if they get addicted to coffee at a young age. Not that good. They will have plenty of time to enjoy coffee when they are adults.
    Dinergirl77

Answer by Dinergirl77 at 7:32 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Mine has had drinks of coffee from age 5. He had his first whole cup probably at 9 or 10. He has his own pot and cups and stuff but hardly ever has any. He is 14. It won't kill them to try it. AND, they won;t become addicted from the occasional sip.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:58 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• No - the caffeine, plus how badly it stains your teeth? My kids won't be drinking it until they are at least 16.

Answer by missanc at 8:00 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• maybe 16! Highschool!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:09 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I don't believe coffee is an ok drink for children. I would say when they are 18 and out of the house.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 9:25 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My kids are 4 and 6, and have been taking sips of my coffee for over a year. Recently I started fixing them their own cups, maybe once a week. But when I say fix them their own cup, I mean they get about 1/8 cup of coffee, mixed with a whole cup of milk, and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. So they are mostly drinking milk, with a slight coffee flavor.

They also love tea! But their grandmother is Chinese, and has tea parties with them, where they drink green tea. Earlier this year my son went to Taiwan with his grandmother and got to visit a Tea Plantation and see the whole process. He loved it, and probably drank tea every day he was there, which was about two months.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:55 AM on Sep. 27, 2010