What can I do for the pain in my knees?

I've fallen so much over the years that now I've had a lot of
pain in my knees. The Dr. won't do anything. Said I'm too young
for knee replacements. The cartledge is in pieces and if I
stand too long fluid builds up and it swells. What do you do for pain relief?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 6:09 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Health

• I've had this problem for years. I don't know how old you are but yes, you are probably too young for a knee replacement. They only last for 10-15 years so if you start now, you'll probably have to get 2 or 3 more before it's all over.

What can you do? Well, my doc told me to lose weight and that helped. Even though I had about 40 pounds to lose, I noticed significant improvement after only losing 10. Taking a glucosamine with MSM supplement is a good idea. Go to your local health food store and get a good one. You don't have to spend a lot of money on that. I could always tell when my knee was about to swell up after going up and down stairs a lot so I would jump in a cool pool to ease the inflammation. I live in Florida so that was easy to find. Otherwise, ice it down.

Also, doing exercises to strengthen your glutes will help so you don't depend to much on your knees when going up and down stairs. Hope that helps.
    HealthyMom62

Answer by HealthyMom62 at 6:54 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i was born with no knee cartalige i soak in a hot bath use icey hot for my knees or a heating pad an i now have a plate in my knee from a fall that broke it in 2 places an drove my thigh bone through my knee
    BabyAngel2011

Answer by BabyAngel2011 at 8:08 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I have knee pain a lot also. I'm only 30, my dr. gave me some antiinflammatory medication to help the pain and after I was out of that told me to use aleve. Also I take glucosemine chondroitine (sp?) supplements and try to get in some walking. I find that if I am to still they will get stiff and even more achy. There is also a roll on I have called Stop Pain. It's almost like icy hot. It seems to help a little. Just don't apply hot or cold when it's on.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 3:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I make a homemade lotion that works better then the store crap for me. You can use fresh cayenne peppers (boil it then but it in blender) or cayenne powder (the fresh works better). Just mix the peppers into an unscented body lotion until it is slightly pink. Be careful though that you dont touch your eyes or mouth until you have washed them after applying! I rub this stuff into my hands at night and then wear moisturizing gloves over them to help with carpal tunnel pain.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 4:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2010

• TRYING TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT THE NEW 30 YEAR THAT IS OUT ..COULD ANYONE LET ME KNOW PLEASE
    THANK YOU
    DIANA
    mrspun

Answer by mrspun at 1:34 AM on Sep. 29, 2010