does anyone know the law regarding opening mail?

someone sent a thank you note to me at my workplace. my employer (owner of the establishment) opened it and then never gave it to me. a manager saw it and gave it to me about 2 weeks after the post mark date. i would like to say something to the owner, but i want to make sure i have the right to. it was addressed with my name, C/O then the company name. i just thought it was rather inconsiderate of them to not give it to me in a more timely manner.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Money & Work

• As far as I know it is against the law to open someone elses mail but I would call and ask the postmaster
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:21 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• since it was marked c/o, then it was within thier rights to open it. however it was rude and inconsiderate to not give it to you for 2 weeks
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 6:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Where I used to work, they opened all of our mail prior to putting it in our mailboxes. I asked about it one time and they said that since it was sent to the company and not to my personal address, they had the right to open it.
    It does suck that they didn't give it to you in a timely manner.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:30 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• The boss is the boss and he will do what he wants to. He sounds already like he is a jerk. I do not know if I would say anything only because you need your job. I do agree, it was wrong but he did not even care to give it to you. Think of it this way, if you make waves over this then he might start watching your job performance and make a problem for you. I do not know he just sounds like a jerk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would contact the Post Master. I am guessing since it was C/O that may give them the legal right to open it.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 6:49 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Unless it said Personal and Confidential, he had the right to open it.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:52 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Contact the post office. I have worked with them. It IS against the law to open mail NOT addressed to you. The ONLY time this is acceptable is when you give power of attorney to another person. It is a FEDERAL offense what he did. Even if it was sent c/o...the person it was in care of does NOT have the right to open it. It was NOT addressed to them. These companies are telling you and others wrong that it is their right. If NO ONE's name is on the envelope (such as Attn: John Smith) and the only addressee is the company, then they can open it.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:35 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Mailed to you c/o the company - they have the right to open it. And most likely there is a clause in your employment contract that any and all mail, email, and phone correspondence might and can be monitored.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:36 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Yep, because it had "care of" with the company name on there, he has a right to open it. I would be sarcastic with him & say "Hey thanks for passing along MY thank you note" I would definitely show him that you know he kept it from you. Voice it, don't be worried about his reaction, you still have a valid point.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:37 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My goodness, the do NOT have the right to open the mail if it is addressed in c/o them. It is their responsibility to pass it on to the person it is addressed too. See how many people have been led to believe the nonsense? I am speaking on behalf of the Post Office being an employee. The do NOT have the right to open it.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:42 AM on Sep. 27, 2010