Potty training tips?

My son is 3, today I am making my 4th attempt at potty training him in the past year. Whenever I have tried in the past, we have taken 3-4 days of going on the potty every half hour. Today, I am going to try once every hour. *I believe he is ready. He gets diapers for me and tells me to change him. He doesn't pee during the night. * He was never gone on the potty yet. Usually, he would spend a long period of time on the toilet and then get off, only to pee on the floor. He loves to help me clean it up, I only wish he loved actually voiding where he is supposed to. When I talk about using the potty, he tells me "no, i want diapers". But, like I said, he is 3, and needs to be using the potty. So, we have a potty chart with stickers for each time he goes and I'm willing to give him any reward desired. Do you have any advice? I offer alot of positive encouragement. I have already purchased big boy underwear.

brodysmama23

Asked by brodysmama23 at 6:44 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I worked at a daycare and worked on the potty training. they all thought they were big girls and boys if they got to wash thier hands after sitting on the potty. regardless if they did anything or not. it still encourages them that they are getting big. they couldnt wash their hands if they didnt go to the potty tho.
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 7:10 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• You could get some of those cute books on going to the potty and read them to him while he sits there. That might help. Other moms have mentioned using fruit loops or cherrios as targets for little boys as far as peeing goes. Dr. Phil's method, plus others, is online if you google it . And the three day method is also online. Just a bunch of ideas...........good luck.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:56 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My husband actually trained our son.  He used a tactic that I did not agree with but it worked.  He told our son that he had to use the big toilet (with his training seat-he still uses it) and not got in his Pull-Up, if he went to the big toilet he would get chocolate.  He did threat for about a month and we slowly weened him off the chocolate and he goes no problem.  Now we are training him to ease off on the toilet tissue, he'll put the whole roll in the toilet if we're not watching him.

Good Luck, and be patient

blackqueen918

Answer by blackqueen918 at 8:00 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Well it sounds like you are doing a lot of really good things. My son did not like to sit on the potty so maybe teaching him to stand up and go will help. We also did the sticker chart and when he got so many he got a prize out of the treasure chest, I went to the Dollar Store and stocked up on misc stuff. We also made it so when he got to the end of the chart he got something special, like a happy meal and an afternoon in the micky d'd play area, or a picnic and an afternoon fishing with daddy. With my girls we had to add giving a treat at first. she wanted chocolate so she got 1 m&m for every time she went. Good Luck!
    1boyand4girls

Answer by 1boyand4girls at 8:18 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• i got rid of the pull-ups all together when i started potty training. i had him wear regular underwear all day - and yes, there were lots of accidents on day 1. if we had to run out, i put a pull-up on over his underwear just in case he had an accident in the car. as soon as we got home, the pull-up was off.

day 1 - i set a timer for 30 mins and every time it went off, i took him potty. if he went, i set it for another 30 mins. if he didn't go, i took him every 5 mins until he used the potty. day 2 - did the exact same thing only set the timer for 45 mins. day 3 - same thing, only it was every hour.

it worked great for us and by day 3 he was starting to tell us when he needed to go. he was pretty much fully trainined in about 2 weeks.
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 12:43 AM on Sep. 29, 2010