would you refuse ?

If you were a cashier at a pharmacy, and a visibly pregnant woman came up to your counter to purchase an over the counter medication that she tells you is for herself, which she has a legal right to purchase and use, though you don't agree with her taking it as she's pregnant and so the medication poses a small potential risk to her fetus, would you refuse to ring her sale up?

BoundHearts

Asked by BoundHearts at 8:09 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Its not your call and she can just come back later when your not around (or visit another store) and ask someone else who won't give a hoot.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:12 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Nope as it is not my place to decide for her. If you pray, then pray for her and the child instead.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 8:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I agree. There is nothing you can do. If she asks to speak to the manager it would complicate things for you. I suppose you could mention what you know about the product but that might cause problems too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:16 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• No, I wouldn't at all. It's not your place to say. Plus, many OBs will tell their patients that certain OTC meds are ok (and they are). While other OBs are more strict and barely let you take anything. Just depends on who their doc is, who they are and what they are taking and why they are taking it. It's not anyone's decision but theirs.
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 8:17 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• If I were the cashier, I would have assumed that a visibly pregnant lady would have talked to the pharmacist about what medicine she should buy, or what would be 'safe' for her. I would NOT refuse her service as she has the right to buy medicine and it is NOT my place to judge or decide what she should buy.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:17 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Me as the cashier, I'd stay out of it. But if I was the pharmacist, I'd say something.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:18 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I'd ask if she'd like to talk to the pharmacist about the affects of the medications on her and her fetus.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:21 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• There really is not much you can do but educate the customer about the med. Some RX even come to the counter and say her is a fact sheet and then go over it with them if they feel its needed. Some things are just out of our hands but education isnt and we can do that with others. She may not even be aware and should be!

Annie
    lovinmy3babies

Answer by lovinmy3babies at 8:37 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• no your job is to ring out the customer, not to make judgement calls. In life people out there will do dumb things that we do not agree with. Its a part of life. As a cashier it is not in your scope of education to talk to the woman about her medication or her pregnancy. That is what her doctor and the pharmacist is for. The only thing you could do would be to ask her if she would like to speak the the pharmacist about the medication. Other than that you need to stop there. When I was a cashier I saw pregnant women buying beer and cigarettes all the time. I didn't like what they were doing but that is not my job. People know what drugs, alcohol and meds to to unborn babies, they just don't care. Personally I think being a good parent starts before the child is born IJS
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:46 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• If it is over the counter, the risks of not taking it may be greater the risks of taking it. And if she is obviously pregnant the risk would not be that great. Unless she was an abuser of over the counter meds.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 8:48 AM on Sep. 27, 2010