Did you choose NOT to have a baby shower???

I am pregnant with baby #2 and I did not want a baby shower when I was pregnant with my 1st. My family was upset but I hated people when I was pregnant. I couldn't stand to be around anyone for more than 15 minutes without getting frustrated and I didn't want to have people poking at, rubbing or staring at my belly. All I wanted to do was eat turkey sandwiches and sleep. On top of that I had hypertension and I was dizzy, swollen and just plain miserable. This time around I figured I would go ahead and do the whole baby shower thing, since I moved out of state and want friends back home to be able to be a part of everything. I am still not looking forward to being on display like an animal in the zoo and I don't want to be poked or rubbed by a house full of people. Anyone else feel like this? Anyone else said no to a shower?

itsme0221

Asked by itsme0221 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• I didn't have a baby shower. I had no interest in it...I see it as an excuse people use to ask for stuff from other people. I don't go to showers either. They irritate me. My MIL was diasppointed that I didn't want a shower, but she respected it. :) My mom feels the same way I do about showers, so she totally understood where I was coming from.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I didn't have a baby shower until I had my last baby. It was so much fun that I wish I would have had one for my other kids.We had a huge group of friends and family and played a bunch of games and had prizes for the winners. I don't think of it as begging people for gifts, people like buying baby things and people also like to be involved with welcoming a new baby. I also think we like to compete with our friends and family of who can find the cutest, or most unique, or smartest baby item. I wouldn't ask people to make major purchases, or even demanding certain items. Just let people bring what they would like to give to the new baby.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 1:36 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I didn't like people grabbing my belly either, I found that the best way to deal with it is to grab their bellies back, you can even make a deal with people as they walk through the door. They can rub your belly if you can rub theirs. Most people don't want their bellies touched and they'll get the point and leave you alone.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 1:39 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I didn't have any because I didn't see the point. The baby isn't here and I didn't need anything from them so why bother. For me it just wasn't something to do because I wasn't in contact with my friends and the family that lives within distance it's a long story.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 11:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2008