potty training a 1yr old

my son is one and he grabs my hand and leads me to the potty when he want to go. Alot of the time when his dad goes pee he needs to go pee. My issue is he can't verbally tell me when he needs to go and if I ask he just looks at me and he only lets me know sometimes... Should I continue to work with him and let him tell me till he can talk or put him on a potty schedule... Or should I wait. How do I potty train? Should I reward him? Should I bu him underwear? I remember doing this for my niece and siblings but they were girls and my bro was late on potty training. It's so much different when it comes to our own kid:y plz help.

christinkie

Asked by christinkie at 8:38 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would let him lead the way. obviously at 1 he also isnt getting on the potty either by himself. he isnt yet capable physically of being fully potty trained. but there is no reason not to let him led the way and continue to support letting him go potty in the potty.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 8:41 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I think this is wonderful. If your child is showing signs of wanting to go to the potty then excourage it.... but dont get frustrated if there are acciednts along the way because of the early start. Pull ups are the best and then later on you can get the underwear with themes on them and they can pick them out. Rewards are needed... sticker charts, candy (sometimes) and may other things. The pullups website will even send you things to help with the potty training if you feel they are ready! I think its great that he wants to go to the potty and him seeing how excited you are about it is even better!!!

Good Luck!

Annie
    lovinmy3babies

Answer by lovinmy3babies at 8:42 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• At 1, just make it fun. It shouldn't be a serious thing at first. Just when he wants to let him use the potty. I would purchase a potty chair and have it available for him. Since at 1 they can't really tell you 100% of the time they need to potty, I wouldn't get underwear just yet. it will be a mess and more stressful for you.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 8:42 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• DEFINITELY encourage this! he obviously doesn't like the feeling of sitting in a wet diaper, so don't force him! he'll need help getting his pants on and off, but you will be there for him. what a special thing, to be able to connect with your son like that! continue to watch for more signs that he needs to go, and pretty soon you'll be able to start saving big bucks on diapers! if you have any other questions, please pm me; i've been doing a lot of research on elimination communication (ec), or ipt (infant potty training), and you'll see that it's very easy to have a diaper-free baby very soon. good luck, mama!
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 9:08 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• Wow, that is great that at one he is leading you to the potty when he has to go. I think you should just keep following his lead and cues and this point and then maybe several months from now you can have him help you pick out a potty chair and big boy underwear. When training DS I used rewards and just making a really big deal out of it. I also started by taking him every 20 mins and stretched it out a little more after several days to 30 mins and so on. I also watched for typical signs that he would show when he had to go poop to try and catch him before he went in his pants. Eventually he was telling me himself that he had to go. For night training I cut down on what he had to drink before bed. I took him before he fell asleep and then again before I went to bed. Good luck to you and I think it is great. Sounds like your doing a great job Momma!
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 9:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• oh and he runs around butt naked.. He takes off his diaper when he poops and pees sligtly..and he does tell me stink when he poop. I tried th put onsies and pants on him so he won't take his diaper off but he still does and I have tried to talk to him and stick him in his highchair and e doesn't care. Is there a technique that I can use to keep is diaper on. Especially right after he poops
    christinkie

Comment by christinkie (original poster) at 9:23 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• why keep the diaper on? is he having accidents all over the place? if he is, just make sure you watch him, and get to him before he goes.
    if he's not having accidents, don't worry about it. the only time you're going to want to put him in a diaper is like when you go to the store or somewhere else where it won't be quick and easy to get him to a toilet, like the park. start doing trial runs, going out without his diaper, see if you can stretch it out from like half an hour, to longer. take your time, and be patient.
    there's no law that says you have to have the kid in diapers all the time!
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 10:32 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• yea reward him
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2010