Would you force your child into surgery that was not to save his life?

My son's jaw was broken over the weekend and he has opted out of wiring for a 6 week liquid diet. Now even if he had the wiring he would still be 6 weeks only liquids. I want the surgery his day says it is his choice. What are you opinions?

martinmommy26

Asked by martinmommy26 at 8:44 AM on Sep. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am afraid i dont know enough here. how old is your son? what are the risks if he doesnt have it wired? what are the risks if he does?
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 8:46 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• if he's going to be doing a liquid diet, then it shouldnt matter if he wired his jaw. you'd think that he'd want to correct the break instead of excaserbating (sp?) the injury further.
    Sarah5708Emma

Answer by Sarah5708Emma at 8:46 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• It depends on how old he is, why he doesn't want it, ect ect. After a certain age you can't force your kids into something, im 100% against that. Just make sure he knows what is going to happen with each choice, how it will effect him & everyone in the house.

Would you like someone to force you into getting a surgery done that was none life threating?
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 8:51 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My son is 15. The risks of not getting it wired would be possible surgery later. His jaw will be off set a bit but not even enough to tell. My son has never had surgery of any kind and is very afraid of needles.
    martinmommy26

Comment by martinmommy26 (original poster) at 8:51 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I would say if the risks are minimal and he understands everything involved then i would let him choose.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 8:53 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• In this situation I am not sure, I think that as parents sometimes we have to make decisions for our children even when they are old enough to make some of them theirselves. You have to think about other things as well.. Is it going to cause any permanent damage if he doesnt have the surgery? Is it going to make simple things like chewing and talking difficult for him? Is either choice going to affect his quality of life more than the other?
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• I had my jaw broken in 16 spots and i didn't get the wires right away I have a really bad TMJ and I have more problems then i ever thought i would have had or they ever thought that i would have. I am going into get the surgery in 3 weeks and hopefully they can make things a little better. I regret not getting the surgery right away. I really think your hubby and you need to talk and think about this Long and hard. It will cost him more in years to come and he will always have problems.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:55 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• My son got burned around his first birthday. He was going to have to have surgery... a skin graph - transferring skin from his thigh to his arm & fingers... then stitching his skin together. We went to a hospital that specialized in burns. I was hesitant for the surgery because he was so young. My dh on the other hand was ready for them to do whatever for him. After discussion with surgeons about benefits & risks.. I was slowly changing my mind... It wasn't until a couple hours later that the surgeon we had been discussing it with brought the lead surgeon in from the burn unit. He didn't want anyone but himself to perform this surgery bc of risks as well as asked if he could allow three other younger surgeons to stand in, watch and learn. The decision turning factor was... they noticed my son was left hand dominant - the burn was on his left hand & arm... if we didn't do surgery - he wouldn't have been able to use it at all...
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• my friend's son had two urethra's when he was born, one reopened later and i told her i wouldn't have done that bc it may just reopen again and it's not like it's life threatening
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 27, 2010

• He is just 15 and this will come back to haunt him. If he was my son depending on how bad the break is, I would have him get it done so he wouldn't have bigger problems later in life. GL

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:57 AM on Sep. 27, 2010